Find a set

Lolster15

Hello! I have a problem solving this task.

I have a function : h(x,y)=3y-3 which i got from compostion of two functions. I have to find a set : h-1([1,3]). Can someone help?

Hello! I have a problem solving this task.

I have a function : h(x,y)=3y-3 which i got from compostion of two functions. I have to find a set : h-1([1,3]). Can someone help?
You want to solve the inequality [MATH]1\le h(x,y)\le 3[/MATH], that is, [MATH]1\le 3y-3\le 3[/MATH]. Can you do that?

Thank you! I was thinking about it! Can you tell me why i use the h(x,y) instead of h-1(x,y) to solve the inequality?

Well actually if you solve the above inequality would that get you your final answer? Or do you have to modify that answer someway?

I do not think so. Can you please post your answer?
The answer is : \[y\in [\frac{4}{3},2]\]
But i'm wondering why do we solve the inequality \[1\leq h(x,y) \leq 3\]
instead of \[1\leq h^{-1}(x,y) \leq 3\]

Thank you! I was thinking about it! Can you tell me why i use the h(x,y) instead of h-1(x,y) to solve the inequality?
Well, what does h-1([1,3]) mean? It's the set of all points (x, y) in the domain such that f(x, y) is in [1, 3]. All I did was to express that symbolically.

In general, an inverse function amounts to the same thing as solving an equation.

But there's a very specific reason you can't use h-1(x,y): that doesn't even exist! Since the codomain of h is the real numbers, the domain of h-1 is the real numbers, not a set of ordered pairs. You'd have to talk about h-1(z), and for what values? I'm not sure you're really thinking.

It does get my final answer

I'm not positive what Jomo is saying, but you will certainly have to express your answer in terms of a set, not just a bare inequality, right?

In any case, it's not hard to solve, so when you have a solution, all you have to do is show us your answer to the problem and we'll tell you whether it's lacking anything.