find answer in lowest terms for rational expression

jenzbears

final answer in lowest terms

u]4x^2- 11xy-3y^2 y^2 + 4xy - 5x^2 5x^2-14xy-3Y^2
______________________.__________________divide by ______________
y^2 + 3xy-4x^2 8x^2 + 6xy + y^2 8x^2 = 2xy - y^2[/code][/u]

I can't really translate that.

Have you considered factoring averything and finding a common denominator?

tkhunny said:
I can't really translate that.

Have you considered factoring averything and finding a common denominator?
Thats where i will start thank you

Re: intermediate algebra

Start with this bit:

y^2 + 3xy - 4x^2

Can you factor that?

jenzbears said:
u]4x^2- 11xy-3y^2 y^2 + 4xy - 5x^2 5x^2-14xy-3Y^2
______________________.__________________divide by ______________
y^2 + 3xy-4x^2 8x^2 + 6xy + y^2 8x^2 = 2xy - y^2[/code][/u]
I think you might mean the following, assuming that you actually mean "Y" and "y" to be the same variable:

. . . . .[ (4x^2 - 11xy - 3y^2) / (y^2 + 3xy - 4x^2) ]
. . . . . . . . . .* [ (y^2 + 4xy - 5x^2) / (8x^2 + 6xy + y^2) ]
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . / [ (5x^2 - 14xy - 3y^2) / (8x^2 - 2xy - y^2) ]

This may also be formatted as:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \L \frac{4x^2\, -\, 11xy\, -\, 3y^2}{y^2\, +\, 3xy\, -\, 4x^2}\,\, \times\,\, \frac{y^2\, +\, 4xy\, -\, 5x^2}{8x^2\, +\, 6xy\, +\, y^2}\,\, \div\,\, \frac{5x^2\, -\, 14xy\, -\, 3y^2}{8x^2\, -\, 2xy\, -\, y^2}\)

Please reply with corrections or confirmation. When you reply, please show all of the work you have done so far, starting with your factorizations.

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

stapel said:
I think you might mean the following, assuming that you actually mean "Y" and "y" to be the same variable:

. . . . .[ (4x^2 - 11xy - 3y^2) / (y^2 + 3xy - 4x^2) ]
. . . . . . . . . .* [ (y^2 + 4xy - 5x^2) / (8x^2 + 6xy + y^2) ]
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . / [ (5x^2 - 14xy - 3y^2) / (8x^2 - 2xy - y^2) ]
Yes that is the problem what i got so far is the common demonator of
y^2 6xy 8x^2 is this right

jenzbears said:
Yes[,] that is the problem[. W]hat got so far is the common demonator of y^2 6xy 8x^2[. I]s this right[?]

Um... no, it's not even close. :shock:

You might want to try following the advice, provided earlier, about factoring, especially since this is a times/divide exercise, not a add/subtract one, so a common denominator is entirely unnecessary.

Are you not familiar with fractions, or did you just miss the classes on rational expressions? We can provide you with links to lessons, but you'll need to narrow down where you're lost. We already know you need to learn how to factor and solve quadratics, but what else are you missing?

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Can you please just give me the web site for help. because you are not realy helping being so negative but thank you.

It is to be regretted if you find offers of help to be offensive, but then-- why are you asking for help...?

There is probably not one web site ("the web site") that can help you get caught up on all the missing background material. We'll be glad to find lists of links for you. But it really would be helpful if you answered the question and specified which topics you need. For instance, numerical fractions are generally covered on K-5 and middle-school sites, but factoring quadratics and simplifying rational expressions are more high-school or college material.

Please reply with the requested information. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

I need help in factoring and complex fractions and equation, rational expressions and it is intermediate algebrac, college level

jenzbears said:
I need help in factoring and complex fractions and equation, rational expressions and it is intermediate algebrac, college level
Wow! That's a month or two of classroom instruction. I hope you're feeling better now, after having missed so much of class! :D

For simple factoring, try these lessons:

. . . . .Google results for "factoring GCF"

For factoring quadratics, try these:

. . . . .Google results for "factoring quadratics"

. . . . .Google results for "special factoring" (like differences of squares)

I'm not sure what you mean by "complex fractions and equation"; I'll guess that you mean "simplifying complex fractions, and solving various sorts of equations".

. . . . .Google results for "complex fractions"

. . . . .Google results for "solving linear equations"

. . . . .Google results for "solving quadratic equations"[/b]

. . . . .Google results for "quadratic formula"

. . . . .Google results for "solving radical equations"

. . . . .Google results for "rational expressions simplify"

. . . . .Google results for "rational expressions multiplying"

. . . . .Google results for "rational expressions adding"

. . . . .Google results for "solving rational equations"

Please don't try to rush yourself. Give yourself a couple of weeks to work through this material. It's do-able, but only if you give yourself enough time to absorb the concepts and techniques.

Good luck! :D

Eliz.