c&d\end{bmatrix} = ad - cb.

This yields the determinant.

Find the determinant D given the following:

\begin{bmatrix}1&0\\

1&0\end{bmatrix}

D = 1(0) - 1(0)

D = 0 - 0

D = 0

Can the determinant be 0? If so, what does this mean?

Yes, it can.

Your book, in discussing Cramer's Rule, undoubtedly gives examples of matrices whose determinant is zero, and discusses an implication: If the determinant of the matrix of coefficients of a system of equations is zero, then you can't solve it by Cramer's Rule. What two things might happen?

Yes, it can.

Your book, in discussing Cramer's Rule, undoubtedly gives examples of matrices whose determinant is zero, and discusses an implication: If the determinant of the matrix of coefficients of a system of equations is zero, then you can't solve it by Cramer's Rule. What two things might happen?

I do not know what happens.

Check your book! It almost certainly tells you. (My Sullivan book does.)

Or, think about what the possibilities are if you can't solve a system of equations.

Check your book! It almost certainly tells you. (My Sullivan book does.)

Or, think about what the possibilities are if you can't solve a system of equations.

Is the system undefined if it cannot be solved?

Is the system undefined if it cannot be solved?
Jomo answered this in your other thread, last Friday. You liked his post, so I guess you just forgot. When a system of equations has no solution, we say the system is Inconsistent.

There's no such thing as a system that's undefined. If it were undefined, it would not exist in the first place.

Jomo answered this in your other thread, last Friday. You liked his post, so I guess you just forgot. When a system of equations has no solution, we say the system is Inconsistent.

There's no such thing as a system that's undefined. If it were undefined, it would not exist in the first place.

Ok. I cannot remember what I had for breakfast this morning much less what someone said last week.

Ok. I cannot remember what I had for breakfast this morning …
Can you remember even having breakfast? What say you? Sometimes, forcing yourself to think about surrounding circumstances brings forth memories you thought you'd forgotten. That is, if you think about what you were doing at breakfast time this morning and then remember sitting at the table, cross-circuitry in your brain may subsequently activate the memories of what you ate.

I've done this before, with math. I try to recall whatever related information I can, and then my brain puts it all together. (Sometimes, it wakes me up at 3am, to give me the answer.)

That was just an impromptu idea; I'm not really qualified to help with your memory losses. Are you getting help from others about how to improve your memory (I mean, from professionals)? Memory is critical to learning math, and you've been struggling for so long.

\(\;\)

Can you remember even having breakfast? What say you? Sometimes, forcing yourself to think about surrounding circumstances brings forth memories you thought you'd forgotten. That is, if you think about what you were doing at breakfast time this morning and then remember sitting at the table, cross-circuitry in your brain may subsequently activate the memories of what you ate.

I've done this before, with math. I try to recall whatever related information I can, and then my brain puts it all together. (Sometimes, it wakes me up at 3am, to give me the answer.)

That was just an impromptu idea; I'm not really qualified to help with your memory losses. Are you getting help from others about how to improve your memory (I mean, from professionals)? Memory is critical to learning math, and you've been struggling for so long.

\(\;\)

Currently not getting help for memory issues.