Find optimal placement of Variants across sheets with minimal waste?

I am glad to have been of help.

I have had long conversations with my son about whether there is a one-to-one correspondence between each algorithm and each
function. In other words, is it true that functions are algorithms and algorithms are functions in different languages, and how would you formally prove it. (Yes, my family is very weird, and the Larrimer branch were actually professional mathematicians.)

However, I stopped playing with computers back around 1970, and I have never claimed to be a mathematician. I can explain my solution to a programmer in terms of algorithms, and I can justify my algorithms with a combination of logic and discrete mathematics. But I cannot express this solution in purely mathematical formulas. If you want to discuss this in terms of actual computer algorithms, I can dredge up from my memory a sketch of the needed code, and we can discuss it through private messages. But, as far as I can see, @Cubist is much more up to date on programming. I’d probably have to haul out my text on WATFOR.

If you want to discuss this in terms of actual computer algorithms, I can dredge up from my memory a sketch of the needed code, and we can discuss it through private messages. But, as far as I can see, @Cubist is much more up to date on programming.
Please feel free to invite me into a private chat if you decide to go down that route. This is an interesting problem and I'm willing to help!

I've been trying to think of a way to represent this problem in a spreadsheet. This won't solve the problem automatically for you, but it should make any manual procedure easier to visualise (and hopefully less likely to contain any errors)...

GOAL1: minimum waste, GOAL2: plates that contain same (or similar) colours...
s1.png

GOAL1: minimum waste, GOAL2: fewest different plates...
s2.png

The grey squares are where the quantity-per-plate is manually entered. This is multiplied by the number of RUNS in that column, and the result is put in the white cell directly underneath. That row is then summed on the right, and compared to the required quantity.