Find shortest way from A to B

AQuatro

The side of the cube is 2. Find the shortest way from A to B ? (Not inside the cube)

Attachments

• [Aztekium.pl]shortest way.png
    [Aztekium.pl]shortest way.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 7
The side of the cube is 2. Find the shortest way from A to B ? (Not inside the cube)
1575553137932.png

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

READ BEFORE POSTING

Please share your work/thoughts about this assignment.

Hint:

Assume the cube to be a hollow-box

Unfold the box - it should look like a cross (some-what).

Locate the points A and B on that cross.

Now join the points A & B for the shortest distance.

This is a general way of solving problems of this type. This particular problem may have a "short-cut".

Have you ever heard of a mathematician called Pythagoras?

I find this question trivial. From the instructions the distance is meant to be along the faces of the cube using the line segments.
The shortest trip is \(\displaystyle FFDDDDLL\) i.e. two forward, four down, and two left.

It doesn't say you have to follow the marked lines, only that you have to stay on the surface.

Your route, as I understand it, would take 8 steps (4 units); it is easy to get a distance of about 3.16 units.

It doesn't say you have to follow the marked lines, only that you have to stay on the surface.
Your route, as I understand it, would take 8 steps (4 units); it is easy to get a distance of about 3.16 units.
There is almost the exact question in a discrete mathematics text( I forget which). The are many on a flat grid that ask for the number of ways moving like a taxicab. But putting the pathways on a cube makes it more interesting, because we must get to the edge in order to use a D.