Find the area of the region of overlap

Sweetdaisy186

Hey guys!

"A sheet of 8-inch by 10-inch paper is placed on top of a sheet of 8.5 in by 11 inch paper, as shown. What is the area of the region of overlap?"

I started by drawing the two pieces of paper out. But now I can't figure out which part of my figure is the part of the overlap. I know the first one is overlapping the second one. I know that one half inch is sticking out and so is another inch. Now all I am doing is confusing myself. I'm so lost now. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Relax, SD.
Problem is same as: 8.5 * 11 - 8 * 10 = ?

(simply difference in areas; don't matter how they're placed,
as long as the smaller is fully on the larger)

OOO, so I just need to find the area of both of then and then subtract them? OOO, I was making it more complicated than I needed to make it. Thanks!

Sweetdaisy186 said:
I got 13.5 as my answer but it is supposed to be 68. I don't understand what I did wrong. :oops:

The method given above, 8.5*11 - 8*10 will give you the area of the part that DOESN'T overlap, assuming the smaller sheet lies completely on the larger one. There must be some information in the given diagram that you have not told us. You'll need to sketch the positions of the papers, or describe them more fully.

Is there a way for me to draw it on this message board? It look like the problem says. The big one is placed on the bottom with the small one on the top. Is there a way for me to scan and attach the image?

With the answer, we don't need the picture. The 8 in side is parallel to the 11 inch side so the overlap is 8*8.5 = 68