Find the equation of the line through (3,8) and parallel to y=4x-8

blake322

Write an equation of the line through (3,8) and parallel to y=4x-8.
Write the equation in the form of y=mx+b.

I am stuck at the beginning.

Last edited:

When you say "at the beginning", do you mean that you know nothing about equations of lines, or that you don't know how to find the slope of a line parallel to y=4x-8, or something else? Even if you have no work at all to show, there is probably something you can tell us about what you do know, or what you think you need to know that you don't.

I'm not sure what you mean by "beginning"...? Do you know how to plot points? Do you know how to solve linear equations in one variable? Have you ever graphed a straight line? Have you heard of "slope"?

Please be specific regarding the topic(s) over which you are needing lesson instruction, so we can help you get caught up to the material. Thank you! ;)

I hope that no one minds that I solve this problem for the student.

Two lines are parallel if they have the same slope. In y= 4x-8, 4 is the slope of both lines. So now we have the slope and point of the line we want the equation to.
y=mx+b becomes (since m=4) y=4x+b. Now we need to find b using the point (3,8)=(x,y). So 8=4(3) +b. So b= 8-12=-4. Therefore the equation becomes y=4x-4 or y = 4(x-1)

thank you!

thank you for all the help.
I watched another tutorial & figured out what I was doing wrong.
thank you again.