Find the flux of F through S ?

CalleighMay

Hey guys! I have been on the forum for about a week or so and have compiled a lot of information and techniques to help me understand calculus, so i really appreciate everyone's help!

I am a soon-to-be freshman in college and am taking a summer class, calculus II (took calc I in HS). This is our last week of class after our final exam so my professor is taking this time to give us a preview of what we will be learning in the fall semester in Calc III (since this is the same professor). Every Tuesday class our professor gives us a few problems from future sections and asks us to "see what we can come up with" and to work together to find solutions. The following Tuesday he asks us to discuss the problems as a class, seeing which ones of us know our stuff =P

Basically, i want to ask you guys what you think about these problems as i do them along before i have my discussion. I really want to make a lasting impression on my professor by "knowing my stuff" -to show him i can do it! All's i need is a little help! Would you guys mind giving me some help?

We are using the textbook Calculus 8th edition by Larson, Hostetler and Edwards and the problems come from the book.

The problem is on pg 1118 in chapter 15.6 in the text, number 24. It reads:

Find the flux of F through S
It gives:
Integral (with S at bottom) of the integral of F (with a dot) N dS
where N is the upward normal vector to S
then it gives for this specific problem,
F(x,y,x)=xi+yj
and
S: 2x+3y+z=6, first octant

I'll be honest and say that i have no idea what's going on here. I looked at the other problems in this problem set and still have no idea what to do... :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys :(

CalleighMay said:
Hey guys! I have been on the forum for about a week or so and have compiled a lot of information and techniques to help me understand calculus, so i really appreciate everyone's help!

I am a soon-to-be freshman in college and am taking a summer class, calculus II (took calc I in HS). This is our last week of class after our final exam so my professor is taking this time to give us a preview of what we will be learning in the fall semester in Calc III (since this is the same professor). Every Tuesday class our professor gives us a few problems from future sections and asks us to "see what we can come up with" and to work together to find solutions. The following Tuesday he asks us to discuss the problems as a class, seeing which ones of us know our stuff =P

Basically, i want to ask you guys what you think about these problems as i do them along before i have my discussion. I really want to make a lasting impression on my professor by "knowing my stuff" -to show him i can do it! All's i need is a little help! Would you guys mind giving me some help?

We are using the textbook Calculus 8th edition by Larson, Hostetler and Edwards and the problems come from the book.

The problem is on pg 1118 in chapter 15.6 in the text, number 24. It reads:

Find the flux of F through S
It gives:
Integral (with S at bottom) of the integral of F (with a dot) N dS
where N is the upward normal vector to S
then it gives for this specific problem,
F(x,y,x)=xi+yj
and
S: 2x+3y+z=6, first octant

I'll be honest and say that i have no idea what's going on here. I looked at the other problems in this problem set and still have no idea what to do... :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys :(

What is/are the theprem/s you have came in contact with that uses "Integral (with S at bottom) of the integral of F (with a dot) N dS "?

Use that theorem.

There are many useful example problems worked out in the book (I have a 2nd. edition book - example 3 (p 803) is very similar to this problem) - work through those. "no idea what to do" is not a valid excuse.

Quadruplicate post:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/show ... post427831

http://www.sosmath.com/CBB/viewtopic.ph ... af678926af

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=249242

How many more places you plan to post to impress your professor?

i need all the help i can get lol. This means a lot to me, and the only way i can do it is with a little help...

\(\displaystyle F(x,y,z)=xi+yj\)

\(\displaystyle S=2x+3y+z=6\)

\(\displaystyle G(x,y,z)=2x+3y+z-6\)

\(\displaystyle {\nabla}G(x,y,z)=2i+3j+k\)

\(\displaystyle \int\int F\cdot H dS=\int\int F\cdot {\nabla}G dA=\int_{0}^{3}\int_{0}^{\frac{-2x}{3}+2}(2x+3y)dydx\)

Galactus, would it be possible for you to briefly explain what each step means? Thanks!

It could be done, but you would not understand it and you continue to assert that you plan to make no effort to do so. What's the point?

Hey guys, can someone give me the full solution please? We had class last night and he didn't really explain them but i would like to know the answers.

Thanks!

CalleighMay said:
Hey guys, can someone give me the full solution please? We had class last night and he didn't really explain them but i would like to know the answers.

Thanks!
You have to show us that you are at least trying - and are capable of attending these classes that teach at this level.

The copy of the book that I have (2 nd edition) has very good example problems - almost exactly like the problem posted - I would assume 8 th edition will have similar/same example problems.

Read through those - copy one of those problems onto these pages to show that you are at least looking at those - then I would work with you....