Find the values of b and c that make f continuous everywhere.

laslo

Hello,
I need to find b and c parameters for this function, but I can't handle the e number.

math.jpg
Thank you in advance for your help.

You say that you can't handle the e number meaning that you tried. Great, so can we see your work so we know where you need help. Thanks.

You can't solve it because you do not know what it should equal! Besides you really should know what 16-12 equals.

You want the 2nd limit to exist, not be undefined. So think about what you want x^2 - 6x + b to equal when x=4. Then make that happen by defining b appropriately.

Please post back.

If the denominator if a fraction goes to 0 but the denominator does NOT then the limit of the fraction does not exist! What does that tell you about what \(\displaystyle x^2- 6x+ b\) must be when x= 4 and what b must be?

\(f(x)=\begin{cases}\dfrac{x^2-6x+b}{x^2-7x+12} &: x>4 \\ 2\exp(x^2-3x+c) &: x\le 4\end{cases}\)
If \(b=8\) then using l'Hopital rule \(\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to {4^ + }} f(x) = 2\).
Can you find a value of \(c\) such that \(\large{\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to {4^ - }} f(x) = 2~?}\)

I wouldn't think you need to use "L'Hopital". The only reason you need to look close is because both numerator and denominator are 0 when x= 4. And, since these are polynomials, that means that x-4 is a factor of both.

\(\displaystyle x^2- 6x+ 8= (x- 4)(x- 2)\) and
\(\displaystyle x^2- 7x+ 12= (x- 4)(x- 3)\) so

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 4}\frac{x^2- 6x+ 8}{x^2- 7x+ 12}= \lim_{x\to 4}\frac{x- 2}{x- 3}= \frac{4- 2}{4- 3}= 2\).

Then, in order to have continuity at x= 4 we must have \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 4} 2e^{x^2- 3x+ c}= 2\)
\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 4} 2e^{x^2- 3x+ c}= 2e^{16- 6+ c}= 2e^{10+ c}= 2\).

So we must have \(\displaystyle e^{10+ c}= 1\) which means we must have 10+ c= 1 or c= -9.

You have <7 minutes to fix your error. The powers should be 16-12+c = 4+c

You have <7 minutes to fix your error. The powers should be 16-12+c = 4+c
Do we have a new Soroban? He could never let a student discover something for themselves (a know-it-all).