Finding a Formula - Question in the description.

luke_gillson

Find the formula connecting the sum of any k+1 successive terms, starting at the mth term, in the n+1th row of Pascal’s Triangle which are each multiplied by binomial coefficients in the expansion of (a+b)^2

Find the formula connecting the sum of any k+1 successive terms, starting at the mth term, in the n+1th row of Pascal’s Triangle which are each multiplied by binomial coefficients in the expansion of (a+b)^2
Can you please explain to us - what is Pascal Triangle?

Please also tell us exactly where you are stuck!

Please share your work/thoughts - so that we know where to begin to help you.

Please follow our rules of posting in this forum enunciated at:

https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/read-before-posting.109846/

A good place to start would be with the formula for the mth term in the (n+1)st row of Pascal's triangle. It's important for you to tell us this, because it's possible that you could be counting rows and columns differently than I would (e.g. starting from 0 vs 1).

Then you need to figure out what the whole description means; it's not entirely clear to me what it means to say that the terms are "each multiplied by binomial coefficients in the expansion of (a+b)^2", since there are only 3 of the latter. I wonder if you typed something wrong.

Did you copy the entire problem exactly as given to you, or have you paraphrased it or omitted a formula or picture?

it's ok if you say it in multiple sentences. this is quite confusing. So we consider the row nth and n+1th. you want to know what is the relationship between the sum of the coefficients in this two row ?