Finding a ratio between two different percentages

WilliamLeQueux

Hello everyone,
I would appreciate if you could please help me with this. I haven't been using math for a long time, so please forgive me if I am missing something very simple.

I have the following sets of data, which can be exemplified thus (I won't go into the actual data which I have, as it will take some time to explain, but the model is identical):

A) Total number of apples in a shop, which are either red, green or yellow (numerical).
B) The number of apples that were purchased out of the total number that was in the shop (numerical).
C) The percentage of the apples purchased out of the total number (percentage).
D) The number of red apples purchased (numerical).
E) The percentage of the red apples purchased out of all the apples purchased (percentage).

Now, you have many different shops (and each has different numbers of apples available), and you need to find the relation between the percentage of apples purchased, and the percentage of those ones being red. For instance, if you just take a look at the data you can see that the higher the percentage was of the apples a shop sold (the more people bought apples from a particular store), the fewer of them were red. In other words, in those shops, where there were more people come in and buy apples, the more the customers preferred green and yellow apples over red, and, conversely, the fewer people came in to buy apples to a given shop, the more they preferred red over green or yellow.

Let us say there are three shops:
1) It has 30 apples. It sold 25 apples (83%). Out of those apples sold, 5 were red (20%).
2) It has 35 apples. It sold 20 apples (57%). Out of those apples sold, 7 were red (35%).
3) It has 25 apples. It sold 10 apples (40%). Out of those apples sold, 7 were red (70%).

So you can see that there is a relation between the percentage of the apples sold, and the percentage of them being red, namely that the lower the percentage of the apples sold is, the higher is the percentage of those apples being red. Hence is the question: how do I calculate this relation, so that I have an additional set of data, where there would be a number for each shop, which would indicate the relation between the two percentages (the percentage of the apples sold, and the percentage of them being red)? Something tells me I can't simply do a percentage of a percentage: divide the latter by the former (or can I?). Is there any kind of a formula or a function I should use for this?