finding a ratio: dimensions of rectangle A

mando5000

this is a challenge question in my book and it was assigned for homework however my teacher didnt have time to go over it can you please help me understand this problem:

the dimensions of rectangle A are 2cm by 3cm. rectangle B is similar to rectangle A. the ratio of the side lengths of rectangle B to the corresponding side lengths of rectangle A is r:1. (note this means rectangle B is 2r cm by 3r cm)

(a) show that the ratio of the perimeter of rectangle B to the perimeter of rectangle A is also r:1
(b) show that the ratio of the area of rectangle B to the area of rectangle A is r2 (r squared):1

Re: finding a ratio

mando5000 said:
this is a challenge question in my book and it was assigned for homework however my teacher didnt have time to go over it can you please help me understand this problem:

the dimensions of rectangle A are 2cm by 3cm. rectangle B is similar to rectangle A. the ratio of the side lengths of rectangle B to the corresponding side lengths of rectangle A is r:1. (note this means rectangle B is 2r cm by 3r cm)

(a) show that the ratio of the perimeter of rectangle B to the perimeter of rectangle A is also r:1
(b) show that the ratio of the area of rectangle B to the area of rectangle A is r2 (r squared):1

What is the perimeter of rectangle A?
What is the perimeter of rectangle B?
What is their ratio?

What is the area of rectangle A?
What is the area of rectangle B?
What is their ratio?

You are done....

Re: finding a ratio

WOW CONSIDERING ALL THE WORDS AND THE EXTRA r ON THE MEASUREMENTS OF RECTANGLE B I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BE MUCH MORE DIFFICULT, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.