Finding acceleration and distance equations

Hi everyone,
Will be much apprecieted if someone can help me or guide what formula to use. View attachment 15808
View attachment 15808

This is a linear-motion (straight-line) & constant acceleration problem. If we designate:

u = initial speed

v = final speed

a = acceleration

t = time elapsed and

s = distance traveled

Then, there are three equations to use

v = u + a*t

s = u*t + (1/2)*a*t2

v2 = u2 + 2*a*s

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

READ BEFORE POSTING

Please share your work/thoughts about this assignment

Hi everyone,
Will be much apprecieted if someone can help me or guide what formula to use. View attachment 15808
What formula to use depends on what you have learned!

Khan gave you a list of formulas often taught for solving these problems without (directly) using calculus. (They are derived from calculus.) You put the question under Calculus, which suggests that you may be expected to use calculus directly (or maybe not).

So, please tell us what you have been learning; if you have been given formulas, tell us what they are (in the form given to you). Then we can guide you in selecting which to use where in your problem.

But more important than formulas is the thinking you do. This will involve more than direct application of one formula. So we'll want to see what you have tried in order to see whether you are thinking in the right direction.

I have considered not posting anymore because of Dr P unusual abilities.
I am sure that would make Subhotosh's day.

That's amusing. When Dr. Peterson started posting here, I was really annoyed that he was getting to the kind of questions I liked to answer before I got to them.

Anyway, Welcome Dr. Peterson!
(If I had to I would guess that you are a math professor who is recently retired.)

Jomo, you know you are no more likely to stop posting than I am! "Free math help" is addictive.

Pretty much right. I'm gradually retiring from community college, at the point of teaching about one class a year and tutoring in the learning center.

But I moved here after 20 years of doing the same thing elsewhere online, so it's not retirement that got me here, it's that site closing. There, it was my twin brother who kept giving the same answer I had just given, or was just about to give, or would have given (or wished I had given). Telepathy indeed!

And I try not to spend too much time on here, because it is addictive and I have obsessive tendencies.