Finding coordinates

JustDanny

Hello everyone.

exercicio.png

- We know the coordinates of (x,y) and (v,w).
- (m1, m2) is the mid-point of (x,y) and (v,w).
- The distance between the mid-point and (a,b) is 1.45.
- d is the distance between (a,b) and (x,y).

With this data, I can calculate the distance between (x,y) and the coordinates of the midpoint. After knowing that, I can just use the c^2=h^2+h^2 rule in order to find the value of d. Now my question is how do I find out the coordinates of (a,b) in the simplest way possible?

Thanks!

Attachments

• exercicio.png
    exercicio.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 1
Hello everyone.

exercicio.png

- We know the coordinates of (x,y) and (v,w).
- (m1, m2) is the mid-point of (x,y) and (v,w).
- The distance between the mid-point and (a,b) is 1.45.
- d is the distance between (a,b) and (x,y).

With this data, I can calculate the distance between (x,y) and the coordinates of the midpoint. After knowing that, I can just use the c^2=h^2+h^2 rule in order to find the value of d. Now my question is how do I find out the coordinates of (a,b) in the simplest way possible?

Thanks!
I'm not sure what you mean by "c^2=h^2+h^2"; what are c and h?

But you can find d using the Pythagorean theorem with legs 1.45 and the distance from (x,y) to (m1,m2).

On the other hand, the simplest way to find (a,b) depends on what you have learned. I myself would probably use vectors, without finding d at all. If you don't know enough about them, you might write the equation of the green line, and find a point along it at the right distance.

Another question though, is whether you know the relative directions. Could (a,b) be in the other direction along that same line?

I'm not sure what you mean by "c^2=h^2+h^2"; what are c and h?

But you can find d using the Pythagorean theorem with legs 1.45 and the distance from (x,y) to (m1,m2).

On the other hand, the simplest way to find (a,b) depends on what you have learned. I myself would probably use vectors, without finding d at all. If you don't know enough about them, you might write the equation of the green line, and find a point along it at the right distance.

Another question though, is whether you know the relative directions. Could (a,b) be in the other direction along that same line?

Hey,

"c^2=h^2+h^2" is a reference to the Pythagorean theorem, I just used that odd notation. My bad!

I did learn about vectors so that would be a possibility! But if possible, could you also present me the green line equation solution?

Yes, (a,b) could be in the other direction along the same line.

Thank you!

Last edited:
"c^2=h^2+h^2" is a reference to the Pythagorean theorem, I just used that odd notation. My bad!

I did learn about vectors so that would be a possibility! But if possible, could you also present me the green line equation solution?

Yes, (a,b) could be in the other direction along the same line.
No, I don't "present" completed solutions; I suggest them, and then help you (if you need it) along the way.

Using vectors, how might you find the vector from (m1,m2) to (a,b)? Might it help to rotate a known vector 90 degrees?

As for the line, how might you write an equation for it? Might the point-slope form be useful?

And if (a,b) could be on either side, then you will get two solutions. That might come from a quadratic equation at some point.

Does that give you ideas? Show me some work, and I can have more to say.

Where does it say that the green line meets the black line at a right angle? This is clearly something that I would not assume unless it is given.

That's funny ... I thought I recalled that it did say that. If not, then I don't think it's solvable.