Finding length of rectangle, given width, diagonal

kimperryman

3. A rectangle is a parallelogram with four right angles. A rectangle has a width of 15 feet and a diagonal of a length 22 feet; how long is the rectangle? What is the perimeter of the rectangle? Round to the nearest foot. Show all work to receive full credit.

Ok, I have not had seen this stuff in some time. I know that the perimeter is all side added together, so i can do that, but i need to know how to find the length when the diagonal is given. Is there an equation for this????

i looked up information on Pythagorean Theorem and i cannot find anything that helps me get the length. I even looked up more basic topics like "perimeter" to see if there were any examples on how to find this information with only the width and the diagnola given. Is there any other information that you can give me that will help me find this equation?

kimperryman said:
3. A rectangle is a parallelogram with four right angles. A rectangle has a width of 15 feet and a diagonal of a length 22 feet; how long is the rectangle? What is the perimeter of the rectangle? Round to the nearest foot. Show all work to receive full credit.
Start by drawing the picture, including the diagonal, and labelling the known values. Then notice the right triangle that two sides and the diagonal form, and apply the Pythagorean Theorem. :idea:

Eliz.

kimperryman said:
I looked up information on Pythagorean Theorem
If you did indeed looked up Pythagorean Theorem you have all you need.
A diagonal of a rectangle is the hypnoses of a right triangle. The sides of the rectangle are the “legs” of the right triangle.

Now if you don’t understand that, then you are in need of greater and deeper help than you can get here. You need one-on-one live tutorial.

kimperryman said:
Ok, i looked up information on Pythagorean Theorem and i cannot find anything that helps me get the length.
You have a right triangle. You know the lengths of two of its sides, and you need to find the length of the third side.

You have looked up the Pythagorean Theorem, so you know that the Theorem gives you the lenght of the third side of any right triangle if you have the lengths of the other two sides.

...but you can't see how to use the Theorem to find the third value...? :shock:

You might want to take a closer look at the Theorem and at your drawing! :wink:

Eliz.