finding restrictions?

paris567

hello, I'm doing some questions and I'm stuck on these questions because I'm too sure about how to state the restrictions.

question: square root of 1-3x=5

hello, I'm doing some questions and I'm stuck on these questions because I'm too sure about how to state the restrictions.

Do any restrictions come to mind when a square root is involved?

I assume you meant sqrt(1-3x) = 5, that is, `sqrt(1-3x) = 5`.

Please state the problem completely, as given to you. Are you to solve the equation, or just state restrictions on the value of x implied by the equation as given without solving? (The solution will be a stricter restriction!)

no, I finished the question but I'm not familiar with finding the restrictions.

I assume you meant sqrt(1-3x) = 5, that is, √1−3x=51-3x=5.

Please state the problem completely, as given to you. Are you to solve the equation, or just state restrictions on the value of x implied by the equation as given without solving? (The solution will be a stricter restriction!)
Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 9.57.11 AM.png

What must be true of the radicand? That is, what kind of number can you take the square root of (if the result is to be a real number)?

The answer might have the form of an inequality, or interval notation, or whatever is expected in your class.