Finding roots

Steven G

Elite Member
Suppose you are given the equation 6x^2+5x+1 = 0. How would you solve this?

Did you notice that you got the reciprocal of -2 and -3? Do you know why?
Well, I got the answer from solve the 2 equations
  1. (3x+1)=0 =>3x=-1 =>x=-1/3
  2. (2x+1)=0 =>2x=-1 =>x=-1/2
I think this would happen when the "c" in the quadratic is 1, and the quadratic is factorable.

Well, I got the answer from solve the 2 equations
  1. (3x+1)=0 =>3x=-1 =>x=-1/3
  2. (2x+1)=0 =>2x=-1 =>x=-1/2
I think this would happen when the "c" in the quadratic is 1, and the quadratic is factorable.
Can you think of a quadratic that has x=-3 and x=-2 as its roots?

Does the quadratic you just got and the one which I started this post with look similar in any way?
Yes, very interesting. It's a different combination of the coefficients 1, 5, and 6, more specifically "a" and "c" are swapped while "b" remained the same. Is that the point you're trying to get at?
Suppose we have a quadratic [imath]ax^2+bx+c=0[/imath], and its solutions are [imath]x_1[/imath] and [imath]x_2[/imath],
then the roots of [imath]cx^2+bx+a=0[/imath] are [imath]\frac{1}{x_1}[/imath] and [imath]\frac{1}{x_2}[/imath]

Yes, very interesting. It's a different combination of the coefficients 1, 5, and 6, more specifically "a" and "c" are swapped while "b" remained the same. Is that the point you're trying to get at?
Suppose we have a quadratic [imath]ax^2+bx+c=0[/imath], and its solutions are [imath]x_1[/imath] and [imath]x_2[/imath],
then the roots of [imath]cx^2+bx+a=0[/imath] are [imath]\frac{1}{x_1}[/imath] and [imath]\frac{1}{x_2}[/imath]
You got it. Now try to prove it! Of course \(\displaystyle c \neq 0\)