Finding the actual relative percentage increase

paularthur

Hello,

I am new to this forum so hello from me.

I have a problem at work and want to understand what statistics can be used to solve this.

I want to find out the percentage of true growth of a business activity. It's increasing month on month and I know how to calculate the percentage increase. What I want to do with statistics is to take into consideration our customer numbers are increasing also.

For example.

If I compare January 2020 to January 2021 the business activity has increased by 32.1%.

Our customer numbers for the same period have increased by 26.7%

So would the actual increase be 5.4%?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

The "actual increase" of WHAT? What is it you are trying to calculate?

Suppose that in 2020 your customer base was N. Then in 2021, your customer base is 1.267N.
Your "business activity" is some fraction of your customer base, aN in 2020. In 2021, it is 1.321aN. So as a fraction of your customer base, if that is what you are asking about, it is now 1.321 aN/1.267N= 1.04a. So your business activity, as a fraction of your customer base, has increased by 4%.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am new to this forum so hello from me.

I have a problem at work and want to understand what statistics can be used to solve this.

I want to find out the percentage of true growth of a business activity. It's increasing month on month and I know how to calculate the percentage increase. What I want to do with statistics is to take into consideration our customer numbers are increasing also.

For example.

If I compare January 2020 to January 2021 the business activity has increased by 32.1%.

Our customer numbers for the same period have increased by 26.7%

So would the actual increase be 5.4%?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
You say:

How is the increase in business activity measured?

- by increase of total revenue?​
- by increase in revenue/employee? or​
- some other measure?​