Finding the cartesian equation of a line with vector equation (2,1,1)+t(1,-1,1)

Nox

Hi,

I have the vector equation of a line (2,1,1)+t(1,-1,1) and I am asked to find the Cartesian equation. I did the following

x=2+t
y=1-t
z=1+t

I am not sure how to continue

I have the vector equation of a line (2,1,1)+t(1,-1,1) and I am asked to find the Cartesian equation. I did the following
x=2+t
y=1-t
z=1+t
I suggest that you follow any examples you find in your textbook and/or your lecture notes.

Hi,

x=2+t
y=1-t
z=1+t

As a line, this will not have a single "Cartesian equation"; it will have two, commonly written in the form of a single equation with two equal signs, "this=that=other". An example from your class should clarify what sort of equations are expected.

One way to do this is to solve each equation for t, and set all three expressions you get equal to one another.

If you don't have a textbook or notes, this will show what is probably mean by "the Cartesian equation", and how to get it:

As a line, this will not have a single "Cartesian equation"; it will have two, commonly written in the form of a single equation with two equal signs, "this=that=other". An example from your class should clarify what sort of equations are expected.

One way to do this is to solve each equation for t, and set all three expressions you get equal to one another.

If you don't have a textbook or notes, this will show what is probably mean by "the Cartesian equation", and how to get it:

Thank you! My confusion was I thought it would be a single Cartesian equation. The Khan Academy link explains everything very well ?