Finding the dimensions

diane

This is a question that I got from my calculus course, would appreciate if anyone can help me solve and explain the steps for it.

Q.Determine the area of the largest rectangle that can be inscribed in a circle of radius 1.

This is a question that I got from my calculus course, would appreciate if anyone can help me solve and explain the steps for it.

Q.Determine the area of the largest rectangle that can be inscribed in a circle of radius 1.
If I were to solve this problem, I would sketch

A circle with radius 'r's and the center at O.......................................[edited]

Draw a rectangle ABCD with vertices on the perimeter of the circle

Join OA, OB, OD and OC ........ and continue ........

Last edited by a moderator:

In order to apply calculus to this, you first need to define variables (after, as SK says, drawing a picture in order to understand some things about the problem). There are several ways you might describe the rectangle in terms of two variables and write an equation relating them. Please give this a try; once we see your initial choices, we can help you with the next step. To give you all the steps at once would mean essentially solving the problem for you, and you don't want us to do that. (If you do, we don't, because the goal is for you to learn to solve problems on your own.)