Finding the Equation of a Quadratic Graph

Norukine

1631045810918.png
Hi, I'm currently IBDP AA maths SL, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a hadn't with solving this question. Thank you!

View attachment 28801
Hi, I'm currently IBDP AA maths SL, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a hadn't with solving this question. Thank you!
When the graph touches x axis at x = x0, we would get the roots of the equation to be equal.

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

Hint for part (b):

Given: ax^2 + bx + c

x-coordinate of vertex: -b/(2a)

?

For part (b), substituting given coordinates (-4,1) and (1,11) into ax^2+bx+c=y yields

16a - 4b + c = 1

a + b + c = 11

The hint in post #3 yields

-8a = b

That's a system of three equations. Continue...

?

View attachment 28801
Do you understand what these words mean? For example, (a) says that the graph 'touches the x- axis at 4". First that tells us that when x= 4, y= 0. But the graph "touches" the x-axis, it does NOT cross it! That means that the vertex is at (4, 0). It means that we can write the equation as y= a(x- 4)^2. Since the graph "passes through (2, 12) we have 12= a(2- 4)^2= a(-2)^2= 4a so a= 3. The equation is y= 3(x- 4).^2 We can also write that as y= 3(x^2- 8x+ 16)= 2x^2- 24X+ 48.

(b) is exactly the same. Since the vertex of the parabola is at (-4, 1) we can write it as y= a(x- (-4))^2+ 1= a(x+ 4)^2+ 1. It passes through (1, 4) means that when x= 1, y= 11 so 11= a(1+ 4)^2+ 1. So what is a? And then what is the equation?