Finding variable in quadratic function through minimum point

vedd21

Find the value of h if the quadratic function f(x)=2x^2 +2hx -(h+1) has a minimum value of -5.
(Answer = 2 and -4)

How do I solve this question?I'd appreciate any solution other than trial and error.I just want to know if there is any formula/more appropriate method to solve this equation.Ty

Find the value of h if the quadratic function f(x)=2x^2 +2hx -(h+1) has a minimum value of -5.
(Answer = 2 and -4)

How do I solve this question?I'd appreciate any solution other than trial and error.I just want to know if there is any formula/more appropriate method to solve this equation.Ty
There are several ways to calculate that. What
methods have you been taught?

(Answer = 2 and -4)

One approach is to use the fact that the vertex of `y = ax^2 + bx + c` is located at `x = -b/(2a)`. Plug in what you know, and solve for h.

Another is to use the fact that the derivative is 0 at a minimum. The derivative of f(x)= 2x^2+ 2hx- (h+1) is 4x+ 2h. That is 0 when 4x+ 2h= 0 or x= -h/2. f(-h/2)= 2(h^2/4)+ 2h(-h/2)+ h+ 1= h^2/2- h^2+ h+ 1= -h^2/2+ h+ 1= 5. Solve that quadratic equation for h.

Another is to use the fact that the derivative is 0 at a minimum. The derivative of f(x)= 2x^2+ 2hx- (h+1) is 4x+ 2h. That is 0 when 4x+ 2h= 0 or x= -h/2. f(-h/2)= 2(h^2/4)+ 2h(-h/2)+ h+ 1= h^2/2- h^2+ h+ 1= -h^2/2+ h+ 1= 5. Solve that quadratic equation for h.
This is posted in Beginning Algebra.

And we all know that the posters ALWAYS choose the "forum" very carefully matching their "expected" skill level!!
No, but we have no choice but to believe that they posted in the correct area unless it is obvious they did not.