Finite Math - Probabilities - Making 3 digit codes

vidocq

We are organizing various historical artifacts in a museum. Each artifact gets a code consisting of two letters and one single digit number (0-9). For instance, KE4, YY6, AB3 are possible codes we could assign.

If we start by assigning codes at random, what is the probability that an artifact will have a code that includes the letter W and number 8?

I know 26x25 to get total outcomes = 650

I'm not sure what to do with the two alphabet letter places in which at least one has to be W
I know number 8 has to be chosen

Last edited:
Successful assignments include:

WW8
W{something}8
{something}W8

How many ways are there to achieve one of these three?
How man POSSIBLE assignments are there?

I got that far, but I forget how to set up the permutation principles to solve this

I'm not sure what to do with the two alphabet letter places...

I got that far, but I forget how to set up the permutation principles to solve this
Okay; in future, please show your work (rather than suggesting that you don't know how to get started), so we can see how far you've gotten and provide useful helps.

When you say that you "forget how to set up the permutation principles to solve this", I'm afraid I don't know what you mean. Are you saying that you've forgotten the formula for something? To what are you trying to apply a formula? How?

If you were asked to find the number of codes that could be generated, using any two letters, followed by any two numerical digits, do you know how to go about doing that?

Thank you! ;)