Fonts for repeating fractions

James Magan

+
M

Hello,

I am not at all a mathematician, but I am writing a text on the significance of the numbers used in the New Testament, and I have a couple of simple problems that I would be really grateful for help with.
I will post two threads, if that is alright, as the two questions are not related.

The first question relates to formatting: specifically to mathematical fonts.
I use Microsoft WORD documents, and do not have other options available to me.

In a WORD (2007) document, I want to use mathematical notation for recurring (or repeating) decimal fractions: e.g. 0.3 recurring is one third.

The notation that I am used to from my schooldays is 0.3 with a little dot over the 3, which indicates that the number is repeated indefinitely: I understand that in some places a line over the numeral is used rather than a dot.

I have searched the Microsoft "symbol" fonts and cannot find what I want: i.e. numbers 1 to 9, each with a little dot over the top. Other online searches have not helped either.

Can I download a Microsoft-compatible font from somewhere that would have these basic mathematical characters?

The first question is as simple as that!

Many thanks

James

+
M

Hello,

I am not at all a mathematician, but I am writing a text on the significance of the numbers used in the New Testament, and I have a couple of simple problems that I would be really grateful for help with.
I will post two threads, if that is alright, as the two questions are not related.

The first question relates to formatting: specifically to mathematical fonts.
I use Microsoft WORD documents, and do not have other options available to me.

In a WORD (2007) document, I want to use mathematical notation for recurring (or repeating) decimal fractions: e.g. 0.3 recurring is one third.

The notation that I am used to from my schooldays is 0.3 with a little dot over the 3, which indicates that the number is repeated indefinitely: I understand that in some places a line over the numeral is used rather than a dot.

I have searched the Microsoft "symbol" fonts and cannot find what I want: i.e. numbers 1 to 9, each with a little dot over the top. Other online searches have not helped either.

Can I download a Microsoft-compatible font from somewhere that would have these basic mathematical characters?

The first question is as simple as that!

Many thanks

James
I used to use Word 2007 and found the equation editor a source of great frustration. I no longer have Word 2007 so I cannot give personally confirmed advice on how to use it. There are chat boards on the web for Word; the people at some of them seem to be very skilled at Word. There are articles on the web explaining how to put macrons over letters in Word, and I presume that those methods will also work as a vinculum for numerals if you know enough about the inner workings of Word, which I do not. Start with the links below.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_one_type_a_macron_in_Microsoft_Word_2007_in_normal_text

http://geekswithblogs.net/rowser/archive/2008/10/10/125771.aspx

HOWEVER, there is a third way to show repeating decimals that is not so elegant, but involves no research into the inner workings of Word.

\(\displaystyle 0.\bar3 = 0.33... = \dfrac{1}{3}.\) The three dots after a repeated pattern indicate that the pattern repeats forever.

For another example, \(\displaystyle 0.142857142857... = \dfrac{1}{7}\)

+
M

Many thanks. I will try, but not today!

Later ... Yes, thank you, the Equation tab on Microsoft Word 2007 does solve my problem. I usually have this tab disabled as I tend to work with "Compatibility Mode" (i.e. more primitive) Word documents, on which it does not function.

But with a normal Word 2007 document the "Accent" button on the Equation tab provides an array of dots, lines and squiggles that can be added above and below characters / numerals. :)

Last edited: