For which solid object can the volume be found only by counting the number of cubes?

eddy2017

Elite Member
I will need you help. How can I begin to figure this one out?
Thanks for your educated hints!.

1646411593746.png

There is only one CUBE that is apparently made out of smaller cubes.

The solid object in question is apparently not a "cube," because all of its edges are not the same length.
This solid object, made up of cubes, has edges of three different lengths.

The solid object in question is apparently not a "cube," because all of its edges are not the same length.
This solid object, made up of cubes, has edges of three different lengths.
Well, to the naked eye D looks to be the one with the evenest cubes.

I will need you help. How can I begin to figure this one out?
Thanks for your educated hints!.
1646446377788.png
The question asks about the possibility of calculating the volume ONLY by counting the the number of cubes!

My response would be NONE.

ONLY the number of the little solids will not produce the volume - we need to know the volume of the little solid/s

View attachment 31503
The question asks about the possibility of calculating the volume ONLY by counting the the number of cubes!

My response would be NONE.

ONLY the number of the little solids will not produce the volume - we need to know the volume of the little solid/s
These tests are made by math teachers who some of them even have a doc degree. There must be some type of valid reasoning ( for a 5th grader) behind the question. And these tests are revised by other mathematicians before they are released. I'm not in the least doubting your judgment. Just letting you that it is not any run-off-the-mill Math person who prepares these tests.

These tests are made by math teachers who some of them even have a doc degree. There must be some type of valid reasoning ( for a 5th grader) behind the question. And these tests are revised by other mathematicians before they are released. I'm not in the least doubting your judgment. Just letting you that it is not any run-off-the-mill Math person who prepares these tests.
These tests could be made in mount Olympus by the inner circle members of Zeus. But a "strict" reading of the problem-statement indicates that "givens" are not sufficient for a definitive answer to the posed question.

A proper problem statement intended for fifth-grader must not be illogical.