Forgetting Basic Math

harpazo

In my recent review of College Algebra (and now Precalculus), I find myself struggling with basic math. You ask: HOW CAN THIS BE? It is logical to think that someone studying Precalculus can easily do middle school applications, for example. This is not always the case.

I often search online for math problems in terms of grades 6 to 8 (mostly word problems) and find myself struggling to answer questions that is expected for someone learning or revisiting trigonometry (included in a Precalculus course) to do blindfolded. This is not the case, at least for me. What do you say?

Questions:

1. Is it possible to spend TOO MUCH time learning math beyond the middle school years and as a result forget the basics?

2. I have met students in New York City public schools, especially CUNY students on campus, that struggle with basic word problems (grades 4 to 8) after completing the calculus series. How can this be?

3. What is the best way to avoid forgetting the basics of math when spending too much time learning advanced material?

Thank you.

In my recent review of College Algebra (and now Precalculus), I find myself struggling with basic math. You ask: HOW CAN THIS BE? It is logical to think that someone studying Precalculus can easily do middle school applications, for example. This is not always the case.

I often search online for math problems in terms of grades 6 to 8 (mostly word problems) and find myself struggling to answer questions that is expected for someone learning or revisiting trigonometry (included in a Precalculus course) to do blindfolded. This is not the case, at least for me. What do you say?

Questions:

1. Is it possible to spend TOO MUCH time learning math beyond the middle school years and as a result forget the basics?
No, it isn't!

2. I have met students in New York City public schools, especially CUNY students on campus, that struggle with basic word problems (grades 4 to 8) after completing the calculus series. How can this be?
They have never actually learned "word problems" well to begin with and have not spent any time working on such problems after. Learning Calculus will help with reviewing, not hurt.

3. What is the best way to avoid forgetting the basics of math when spending too much time learning advanced material?
Keep working such problems- and remember to think not just memorize formulas. Too many people act as if mathematics were memorizing and applying formulas. It is organized thinking. That is the key to "word problems".

Thank you.
You are welcome.

No, it isn't!

They have never actually learned "word problems" well to begin with and have not spent any time working on such problems after. Learning Calculus will help with reviewing, not hurt.

Keep working such problems- and remember to think not just memorize formulas. Too many people act as if mathematics were memorizing and applying formulas. It is organized thinking. That is the key to "word problems".

You are welcome.

I went to NYC public schools where MEMORIZATION is the key to learning, according to the DOE system. I consider myself a victim of the NYC corrupt public school system. I vividly recall having to take remedial courses after miserably failing the CUNY college entrance exams: RAT, MAT, AND WAT.

The more as a student you can put to memory, the higher your chances to be called LITERATE as far as the DOE is concerned. Take, for example, the equation 2x + 5 = 20. I know how to solve for x.

Most CUNY students know how to solve for x. However, if you ask ANY CUNY student or CUNY GRADUATE to define this equation as linear, quadratic or cubic. They have no idea what to say. Why? We learned how to solve for x not what makes this equation linear.

… I find myself struggling with basic math
… HOW CAN THIS BE?
… What do you say?
You've already posted the answer to that question, harpazo. You told us that you have a learning disability which prevents you from remembering information.

… I have struggled with learning disability for most of my life …
… I cannot remember what I had for breakfast this morning much less what someone said last week …
Currently not getting help for memory issues.

\(\;\)

You've already posted the answer to that question, harpazo. You told us that you have a learning disability which prevents you from remembering information.
This happens to people as we age. Moving on.

This happens to people as we age …
In general, that's not true, harpazo, but you didn't ask about when your struggles began.

You asked for people to comment on why you struggle.

I told you why.

Moving on.
For years, that has been your boilerplate response to mean, "I don't wanna to hear it."

You've started these discussions many times. They usually end the same way ("Moving on"). You just don't remember.

:(

In general, that's not true, harpazo, but you didn't ask about when your struggles began.

You asked for people to comment on why you struggle.

I told you why.

For years, that has been your boilerplate response to mean, "I don't wanna to hear it."

You've started these discussions many times. They usually end the same way ("Moving on"). You just don't remember.

:(

My problem is retaining what was learned in the early chapters as I move through the textbooks. For example, when in chapter 10, I have already forgotten how to solve problems in chapters 1-5 or 2-7 or 3-8, etc. Just like most students in the NYC public school system, I was taught to memorize for a test not to actually learn the material. For those of you who think I am a student now, well, no. My school days are far behind me.

My problem is retaining what was learned …
I fully understand that, harpazo. You have a learning disability.

Understanding limitations is a personal, adult responsibility that we all have. My hope for you is that you eventually come to terms with the fact that you'll most likely always struggle with basic math. (You've been forgetting the same reviewed material, for five years.)

Your learning disability will not improve on its own, and you don't seem motivated to seek help from people trained to offer a professional course of action.

Be honest with yourself.

\(\;\)

I fully understand that, harpazo. You have a learning disability.

Understanding limitations is a personal, adult responsibility that we all have. My hope for you is that you eventually come to terms with the fact that you'll most likely always struggle with basic math. (You've been forgetting the same reviewed material, for five years.)

Your learning disability will not improve on its own, and you don't seem motivated to seek help from people trained to offer a professional course of action.

Be honest with yourself.

\(\;\)

I may have a learning disability but, at the same time, I have improved significantly through the years thanks to MarkFL and others here plus You Tube clips. I never give up! It's not like me to put away the books and say goodbye math.

I'm sorry, harpazo. I haven't seen anything significant.

"To thine own self be true."

\(\;\)

Considering my current insane situation in NYC that MarkFL knows about, I think I'm doing ok with math. I challenge any of you to solve ONE SINGLE MATH PROBLEM in my shoes. I doubt any you care about your fellow man. If you do, ask MarkFL. He knows what my life has been like for quite some time now.

Try doing math while crossing a river full of crocodiles. Try learning math while on employment furlough WITHOUT PAY. Try learning math when you have to move out yet again.

My love for math has been proven over and over again here and in other sites. I am almost at the end of my rope but still holding on to my textbooks, to hope, to a dream of becoming the best math person I can be. Now go ask MarkFL. Ask him: WHAT'S WRONG WITH harpazo?

I'm sorry, harpazo. I haven't seen anything significant.

"To thine own self be true."

\(\;\)

In addition to what I said earlier tonight, read a portion of my reply to Otis:

By the way, Cohen's book is probably for an honors Precalculus course. It is, as you said, extensive. As I have said here a few dozen times in the past, I took Precalculus in the Spring 1993 semester as an elective course. The graduate student/teacher working to complete his student teaching requirements did not cover half of the topics presented in Cohen's textbook.

I just figured out what the problem is: I need to purchase user-friendly books. Example, the MATH FOR DUMMIES series. I plan to purchase all the MATH FOR DUMMIES math books when back on my feet.

The time has come to say goodbye to the David Cohen textbook and the Michael Sullivan College Algebra textbook. I need and desire to learn these concepts well. My current textbooks are simply not helping.

Watch the videos at free academy for math on youtube. These videos explain everything!