formulas and applications

devasquez10

The formula D = 16t2 is used to approximate the distance in feet an object falls in t seconds. A package is dropped from an airplane that is 6400 feet above the ground. How many seconds elapse before it hits the ground?

16t squared not 2

The formula D = 16t2 is used to approximate the distance in feet an object falls in t seconds. A package is dropped from an airplane that is 6400 feet above the ground. How many seconds elapse before it hits the ground?

Please follow the rules of posting at this site - enunciated at:

Hint:

1) What do you need to find? How many seconds elapse before it hits the ground - time

2) Assign a variable name to it? Let t = time

Continue.....

Please share your work/thoughts with us - so that we know where to begin to help you.

No .... No ... Double No.

Look at the given equation again!

What happened to the exponent of 't'?

What happened to 16?

Try again......
Sorry, I read the problem wrong and I forgot to put the 1 in front of the 6 and square it. I am so confused so D=16t2 (squared). t=time. Ok. Is the distance 6400 of how far it dropped? I am just confused about how to set this equation up. I tried 16(60)t2 and D=16t2 + 60x. I got the 60 from how many seconds are in a minute but I know this is wrong because I get crazy big numbers....

… Is the distance 6400 [how] far it dropped? …
Hello devasquez. Yes. The object was dropped at 6400 feet above the ground, so it falls 6400 feet. In the formula D=16t^2, symbol D represents the falling distance in feet.

… confused about how to set this equation up. I tried 16(60)t2 and D=16t2 + 60x
Don't set up new formulas. Use the formula they gave you and substitute the value 6400 for symbol D:

16t^2 = 6400

Now solve for t and ignore the negative solution.

… I got the 60 from how many seconds are in a minute …
You don't need to convert anything to minutes. The exercises asks for a number of seconds and symbol t represents that time in seconds, so the positive solution for t above is the answer. Cheers!

PS: When typing, we show exponents using the caret symbol ^

?

Thanks so much Otis for explaining that! So, I did 16^2 which is 256 and then I divided 6400 by 256 which gets me t=25. Is that correct.? I have an answer key which says 20 seconds but that has to be wrong.

Thanks so much Otis for explaining that! So, I did 16^2 which is 256 and then I divided 6400 by 256 which gets me t=25. Is that correct.? I have an answer key which says 20 seconds but that has to be wrong.
Yes it is wrong!

Why 16^2?

The "^2" is associated with "t"! Not with 16.

This should be:

16 * t2 = 6400 .... divide both sides by 16 to isolate "t".

t2 = 6400/16 = 400

t = (400)1/2

Continue......

Where did t^2 go? Did you multiply by 1/2 on each side ? And (400)1/2 isn’t that 200?

Where did t^2 go?

Did you multiply by 1/2 on each side ? - No! I took "square root" of both sides. That is also expressed as "^(1/2)" or "(1/2)" or "√"

And (400)1/2 isn’t that 200? - no it is (400)1/2 or √(400) which is equal to 20 (Book's answer).

Oh ok I understand now, that was way more simple than I thought. Thank you for taking the time to explain it!