Fraction meaning

Saumyojit

Suppose when there is no 2 and question tells me to express it as a percentage then we should do as 2 * 100=200 percent

So percent is something out of (per)/divided by 100...
2 will be not 2/100 but 2 * 100.
In this part I was having confusion so one of my friend told me to think like this

Unitary
Out of 1 gives 2
Out of 100 gives (2/1)/100 ->200 percent
Means 200 parts of per 100.

I don't understand that what is this 2 out of 1
Suppose there is one object and I am producing another same object i.e means 2/1

If I write 1/2 that means out of every 2 objects I am taking 1 ...1/2 means half that means I am dividing one object into 2 parts.

I am confused...
How can 2 be out of 1 ...there is this only 1 thing right...

If someone says to me that I have got 100 out of 60 that's impossible right??

Suppose when there is no 2 and question tells me to express it as a percentage then we should do as 2 * 100=200 percent

In this part I was having confusion so one of my friend told me to think like this

Unitary
Out of 1 gives 2

Suppose there is one object and I am producing another same object i.e means 2/1

If I write 1/2 that means out of every 2 objects I am taking 1 ...1/2 means half that means I am dividing one object into 2 parts.

I am confused...

Far, far away there is a planet called Centia. Centians are very particular people. They like exact amounts. They can’t just say “Give me half a pizza”. Even 5/8th of a pizza would not be exact enough for them. Centians like to measure things using 1/100 parts, called percents. For example, “I think I’ll order 53 percents of a pizza”. If a Centian is especially hungry, he would never say “I could eat 2 pizzas!”. Instead he says “I could eat 200 percents of a pizza!”.

Unitary
Out of 1 gives 2

I am confused...

In America, money is measured in dollars and cents. One dollar is 100 cents. That is exactly like 1 unit being 100 percent (100%).

To convert from dollars to cents, we multiply by 100 (that is, 100 cents per dollar). To convert from units to percent, we multiply by 100% (which is equal to 1).

So 2 = 2 * 100% = 200%.

What your friend said would probably confuse me; if it confuses you, don't worry about it.

But it is entirely possible to take about 100 out of 60; that would be similar to talking about 167%. That's more than 1; but for example it might mean that I intended to take 60 minutes on a project, but instead took 100 minutes. It took 167% of the planned time. Or I might need a certain amount of vitamin C, and I got 167% of that required amount by drinking a lot of orange juice.

By the way, when you wrote, I was on the way out the door to visit my kids on Easter. (Don't tell anyone I did that.) I'm not on call, nor am I the only one here who can answer.

… my friend told me to think like this … Out of 1 gives 2 … How can 2 be out of 1

…If someone says to me that I have got 100 out of 60 that's impossible right??
Hello Saumyojit. Ratios are comparisons. We're not literally "taking" or "getting" 2 from 1. We are comparing the number 2 to the number 1. We can compare the number 100 to the number 60.

Are you thinking in terms of proper fractions? This exercise involves improper fractions. When the first number in a ratio is smaller, the language of "taking" a fractional amount from some whole makes sense, but such language doesn't make the same sense when the first number in a comparison is larger. (In general, people tend to think of fractional amounts as less than the whole; this could be one of the reasons why the name 'improper' was given to ratios having the 'part' greater than the 'whole'.)

A percent is a ratio, where we compare a number to 100.

Express 2 as a percent. That means finding the number that compares to 100 in the same way the number 2 compares to 1.

?/100 = 2/1

The first number in the ratio 2 : 1 is twice the second number, so we need the number compared to 100 to be twice 100.

200/100 = 2/1

That means 200% = 2

?

why we need to compare between 2 and 1 . why bring ratio here...I know percent means per hundred what if we just kept 2 as a no and dont express 2 as 2/1...

Well, why did you want to make a percentage in the first place? It was your question!

If you don't need a percentage, then leave it as a 2. I'd be perfectly happy with that ...

One example where you might need a percentage is if you are describing percentage enlargements on a copier. If you want a percentage representing the scale of a picture when every length is doubled (multiplied by 2), then you would say the image is 200% of the original, just as a reduced image might be 50% of the original.

Or if you were making a table of nutrients in foods, you might find that a concentrated juice would give you 2 times your required amount of vitamin C. That would be listed as 200%, just as it might contain only 2% of your protein requirement.

so when it is 2 /1 that means of every whole thing i am taking twice of that whole .... so for every 100 i have to make it twice so 200 got it.
actually in any fraction the numerator tells me that how many parts should i consider of the "total parts that i divided the whole thing" i.e the denominator... so when i am considering improper fraction like i ate 4/3 of pizza that means i am first slicing first pizza into 3 parts i.e 1 whole and eating it then from the next pizza i am slicing it into 3 parts and eating one slice right?

Last edited:
so when i am considering improper fraction like i ate 3/4 of pizza that means i am first slicing first pizza into 3 parts i.e 1 whole and eating it then from the next pizza i am slicing it into 3 parts and eating one slice right?
No, for 3/4 you are slicing each one into 4 parts.
For 4/3 - yes, into 3.

yes edited

@lev888 why the 2nd pizza was cut into 3 slices but the extra two slices were wasted thats because the denominator has 3 parts that means i have to consider 4 of 1/3 rd slices

yes edited

@lev888 why the 2nd pizza was cut into 3 slices but the extra two slices were wasted thats because the denominator has 3 parts that means i have to consider 4 of 1/3 rd slices
I don't understand. Please use proper punctuation. Is this a question?

… why bring ratio here … I know percent means per hundred …
I think I answered that, Saumyojit. You asked about a percent. I said, "A percent is ratio". Therefore, a discussion about percents is a discussion about ratios.

"Per hundred" implies a ratio; fractions are ratios.

?

so when it is 2 /1 that means of every whole thing i am taking twice of that whole .... so for every 100 i have to make it twice so 200 got it.
actually in any fraction the numerator tells me that how many parts should i consider of the "total parts that i divided the whole thing" i.e the denominator... so when i am considering improper fraction like i ate 4/3 of pizza that means i am first slicing first pizza into 3 parts i.e 1 whole and eating it then from the next pizza i am slicing it into 3 parts and eating one slice right?
Yes, after your edit this is correct.

EDIT: But I should add that this is only one way in which improper fractions are used; it is not what a fraction in itself "means".

The ratio of girls to students is one-fifth

fraction of the group that is female is one-fifth

both are same?

fraction of the group that is female is one-fifth

both are same?

No. We don't express a ratio as a fraction in words. We can write a ratio as 1/5, but it is properly 1:5, and is never spoken as "one fifth". It would be "one to five".

On the other hand, yes, we would say that one fifth of the students are girls, which is a fraction.

fraction of the group that is female is one-fifth …
Hi Saumyojit. Yes, those statements are the same. Although, in the first statement, I would say the ratio of girls to students is one to five. We generally write both ratios in the same form, when stating they are equal. There are three common ways to express ratios: using the word "to", using a colon or writing a fraction.

the ratio girls to students is one to five
the ratio girls : students is one : five
the ratio girls to students is 1 to 5
the ratio girls : students is 1 : 5

Personally, I don't like using colons because spacing issues make the colon hard to see, sometimes (like bass:nets or 1.0:3.1).

The fraction form is seen more when doing algebra or arithmetic (like finding percents or writing proportions).

girls/students = 1/5
G = (1/5)S

What percent is a 1/5th? Let's write a proportion, and find out:

1/5 = x/100

x = 100/5

100/5% = 20%

We can say that 20% of students are girls.

?

Edit: Forgot to refresh the page, before replying. Didn't see the doctor's reply.

Last edited:
The denominator represents the total number of equal parts the whole is divided into. Now in a class of 5 students (2 boys ,3 are girls)then if i write 2/5 or 3/5 here 5 means equal units of human right ? not equal no of boys or girls ....

when i say i ate 4/6 of pizza that means out of 6 equal slices of 1 whole pizza i ate 4 slices..
if i say i got 60/100 marks can i say i got 60 marks of equal slices of 100 marks as denominator divides the whole into equal parts

Last edited: