Fraction Word Problem (4th Grade)

cbonilla8890

A fourth grade class has 28 students. 4 of the students are participating in the Spelling Bee competition. What fraction of the students, in sevenths, are NOT participating in the Spelling Bee competition?

A. 4/7
B.3/7
C. 7/7
D.1/7

Please show me a step by step!

Any help appreciated :)

A fourth grade class has 28 students. 4 of the students are participating in the Spelling Bee competition. What fraction of the students, in sevenths, are NOT participating in the Spelling Bee competition?

A. 4/7
B.3/7
C. 7/7
D.1/7

I think that there is a clear typo in the given answer set.
There are seven combinations of four pupils in that class.
One of those seven combinations is in the spelling-bee.
How many are not in the contest?

A. 4/7
B.3/7
C. 7/7
D.1/7

Any help appreciated :)
First step: What fraction ARE participating?
Second step; Simplify that fraction.
Third step: What fraction ARE NOT? (that is, subtract from 1)

Or

First step: How many ARE participating?
Second step: What fraction of the whole is that?
Third step: Simplify that fraction.

Final step: Check whether your answer is in the list; if not, check that you copied correctly. If you did, point the error out to your teacher.

It seems likely that you are asking because the list of answers confused you. If so, it would be a good idea to tell us that, as well as showing your work.

cbonilla8890, we are not here to show you step by step. Please read Read Before Posting here: