fraction/word problem

faith21

how many yards of material froma 24 yard length of cloth remain after 3 pieces each 3 1/2 yard long and 5 pieces each 2 1/4 yard long are removed?

What is the result of 3 multiplied by 3 1/2 ?

If you don't know that, then not much can be done for you here: talk to your teacher.

What you have to do to get the answer is multiply 3 pieces times 3 1/2 yards each. Get that length, and call it A. Then, multiply 5 pieces times 2 1/4 yards each, and get that length. Call it B. Then your answer is 24 - A - B.

Whenever the word problem says, how much is left, it's a pretty good bet that you're going to subtract.

Where specifically are you having trouble? Do you know how to translate word problems into the arithmetic? Do you know how to multiply a whole number and a mixed number? Do you know how to subtract mixed numbers from whole numbers?

If you show us what work you have done so far, we can probably spot where you're having trouble much more quickly.

Please don't call tutors names here. Everyone is volunteering their time to help students with math problems, and Denis was just asking a question about where you're stuck. Please read the "Read Before Posting" comment, which is available in most of the forums (although for some reason it seems to be missing in this one). That will tell you that the best way to get help on a real help board like this is to show whatever work you have done, even if it's wrong.

Note: Hostile and obscene messages by original poster have been deleted.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH CHIVOX YOU WAS A GREAT HELP AND ITS REALLY APPRECIATED

Re:

chivox said:
What you have to do to get the answer is multiply 3 pieces times 3 1/2 yards each. Get that length, and call it A. Then, multiply 5 pieces times 2 1/4 yards each, and get that length. Call it B. Then your answer is 24 - A - B.

Whenever the word problem says, how much is left, it's a pretty good bet that you're going to subtract.

Where specifically are you having trouble? Do you know how to translate word problems into the arithmetic? Do you know how to multiply a whole number and a mixed number? Do you know how to subtract mixed numbers from whole numbers?

If you show us what work you have done so far, we can probably spot where you're having trouble much more quickly.

Please don't call tutors names here. Everyone is volunteering their time to help students with math problems, and Denis was just asking a question about where you're stuck. Please read the "Read Before Posting" comment, which is available in most of the forums (although for some reason it seems to be missing in this one). That will tell you that the best way to get help on a real help board like this is to show whatever work you have done, even if it's wrong.

THAT IS A NO TO THE THREE QUESTIONS THAT YOU ASKED, I AM TERRIBLE AT MATH. AND AS FAR AS THE WHOLE CALLIN NAMES THING IS CONCERN, THIS IS A SITE THAT HELPS STUDENTS WITH MATH, THE QUESTION THAT WAS ASKED IS UNCALLED FOR. IT COMES ACCROSS AS AN INSULT. I AM SORRY FOR BEING RUDE, I WASNT AWARE THAT I WAS TALKING TO A TUTOR AM NEW TO THIS SITE SO I ASSUME IT WAS A STUDENT, BEING RUDE IS NOT MY NATURE WHEN SOMEONE IS TRYING TO HELP ME OUT. BUT AS A TUTOR THE QUESTION COULD HAVE BEEN ASKED DIFFERANTLY. CUZ IT SOUNDS LIKE A INSULT TO MY INTELLIGENCE, AND LIKE A HUMAN I GOT ON THE DEFENSE.

Re: Re:

faith21 said:
THAT IS A NO TO THE THREE QUESTIONS THAT YOU ASKED, I AM TERRIBLE AT MATH. AND AS FAR AS THE WHOLE CALLIN NAMES THING IS CONCERN, THIS IS A SITE THAT HELPS STUDENTS WITH MATH, THE QUESTION THAT WAS ASKED IS UNCALLED FOR. IT COMES ACCROSS AS AN INSULT. I AM SORRY FOR BEING RUDE, I WASNT AWARE THAT I WAS TALKING TO A TUTOR AM NEW TO THIS SITE SO I ASSUME IT WAS A STUDENT, BEING RUDE IS NOT MY NATURE WHEN SOMEONE IS TRYING TO HELP ME OUT. BUT AS A TUTOR THE QUESTION COULD HAVE BEEN ASKED DIFFERANTLY. CUZ IT SOUNDS LIKE A INSULT TO MY INTELLIGENCE, AND LIKE A HUMAN I GOT ON THE DEFENSE.
No problems faith. Just have "faith" that YOU TOO can learn math :idea:

By the way, you get NO apology from me, as my intention was to help :wink: