Fractions Problem Please Please Help

w0rdvirus

Okay my brother is going to be starting DeVry University in Spring. He has to take the placement exam so they gave him a study guide. Now fractions are not my strongest areas but I have asked a few people and no one can get. I know this must be really simple and I am just overlooking something I mean it is just basic arithmetic. I don't feel I am breaking any rules by posting this question since the answers are given anyway.

Sam and Mary each owned one-half stock in a printing company. Same sold 2/3 of his stock to Mary. What fractional part of the printing business does Mary now own?

then the answers are

A) 7/10
B) 9/10
C 3/7
D 6/7

The test says that the correct answer is A) 7/10 and we can not figure out how they got it. I aced all of my math classes for college and I had 5 of them, but I'm at a loss. Now I did google this exam and found the same exact question with the same answers only it said that same owned 2/5. So we know that the answer is supposed to be 7/10 either way, but how do you get it? Please help it is not like a grade depends on it or anything, it is just one of those things that is now bothering the heck out of us.

w0rdvirus said:
Okay my brother is going to be starting DeVry University in Spring. He has to take the placement exam so they gave him a study guide. Now fractions are not my strongest areas but I have asked a few people and no one can get. I know this must be really simple and I am just overlooking something I mean it is just basic arithmetic. I don't feel I am breaking any rules by posting this question since the answers are given anyway.

Sam and Mary each owned one-half stock in a printing company. Same sold 2/3 of his stock to Mary. What fractional part of the printing business does Mary now own?

then the answers are

A) 7/10
B) 9/10
C 3/7
D 6/7

The test says that the correct answer is A) 7/10 and we can not figure out how they got it. I aced all of my math classes for college and I had 5 of them, but I'm at a loss. Now I did google this exam and found the same exact question with the same answers only it said that same owned 2/5. So we know that the answer is supposed to be 7/10 either way, but how do you get it? Please help it is not like a grade depends on it or anything, it is just one of those things that is now bothering the heck out of us.

Sam has 1/2 of the stock, and Mary has 1/2 of the stock at the beginning.

Sam sells 2/3 of his stock to Mary. So, he sells (2/3) of (1/2) of the stock. What's (2/3) of (1/2)? It is (2/3)*(1/2), or 1/3.

Now, Mary has her original 1/2 of the stock, PLUS what she got from Sam, which is 1/3 of the stock.

What does Mary have now? Well, she has 1/2 + 1/3 of the company's stock. To add 1/2 + 1/3, you'll need to find a common denominator for the fractions, and convert each fraction to an equivalent fraction with that common denominator. Then add the fractions. AND...the "given answer" of 7/10 is not correct.

In fact, I may have mis-understood the problem completely, because NONE of the given answers is correct as I interpret the problem.

Referring to your comment about the "Google" version of the problem, if Sam owned 2/5 of the stock to begin with, then Mary would have owned 1 - (2/5), or 3/5 of the stock.

Sam sells 2/3 of his stock to Mary. 2/3 of 2/5 is (2/3)*(2/5), or 4/15. Now, Mary will have (3/5) + (4/15) of the stock. Again, find a common denominator and add the fractions. This won't give you 7/10, either.

Maybe you should try again, and be sure to post the EXACT WORDING of the COMPLETE PROBLEM.

Answer is 5/6...unless there's something "mysterious" in the wording.

What site did you get googling? I got this one:
http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/databa ... dget2.html

ANYHOO....
IF Mary went from 1/2 to 7/10: 1/2 + x = 7/10 ; x = 1/5.
and Sam the Sham: 1/2(y) = 1/5 ; y = 2/5 : so he sold 2/5; 1/2 * 2/5 = 1/5.
So problem should state: Sam sold 2/5 of his stocks....
Perhaps the 2/3 is a typo?

That is why we are having a problem, because I posted the exact wording of the problem and the book says that the correct answer is 7/10. And As you said none of the answers are right so I thought maybe I was missing something.

DeVry University provides a study guide for their mathematics placement exam ?

Good grief !

Please excuse me.

Clearly, I misunderstood what you meant when you typed "placement exam".