Fractions problem

nshaf

A box half full of apples weighs 40Kg and the same box one fifth full weighs 22Kg.What is the weight of the empty box?Please help with an explanation of how to get to the answer.

A box half full of apples weighs 40Kg and the same box one fifth full weighs 22Kg.What is the weight of the empty box?Please help with an explanation of how to get to the answer.
Hint: What do you need to find → Weight of empty Box = B

Assume weight of just apples when the box is full = A

So you have (1/2)*A + B = 40

What are information given? Write those as equation/s. And continue.....

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "
Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

Last edited by a moderator:
A box half full of apples weighs 40Kg and the same box one fifth full weighs 22Kg.What is the weight of the empty box?
Since you posted this to "Arithmetic", I'll assume you haven't yet gotten to algebra, so you aren't familiar with variables or solving algebraic equations.

You have one box which is filled halfway with apples. The 40-kg weight is the sum of the box (the "tare" weight) and the apples. Since the "half" is five-tenths, draw a box for the box's weight and five circles for the apples' total weight.

You have another box which is filled one-fifth with apples. The 22-kgh weight is the sum of the box and the apples. Since "one-fifth" is two-tenths, draw a box for the box's weight and two circles for the apples' total weight.

The difference in the two drawings is the three more circles that you have for the first box' total weight. That difference is only in apples. What is the difference in weight?

Since that difference stands for three-tenths of the box' capacity (in apples), how much does one-tenth weigh?

Then how much does two-tenths weigh?

Then how much does the empty box weigh? ;)

Since you posted this to "Arithmetic", I'll assume you haven't yet gotten to algebra, so you aren't familiar with variables or solving algebraic equations.

You have one box which is filled halfway with apples. The 40-kg weight is the sum of the box (the "tare" weight) and the apples. Since the "half" is five-tenths, draw a box for the box's weight and five circles for the apples' total weight.

You have another box which is filled one-fifth with apples. The 22-kgh weight is the sum of the box and the apples. Since "one-fifth" is two-tenths, draw a box for the box's weight and two circles for the apples' total weight.

The difference in the two drawings is the three more circles that you have for the first box' total weight. That difference is only in apples. What is the difference in weight?

Since that difference stands for three-tenths of the box' capacity (in apples), how much does one-tenth weigh?

Then how much does two-tenths weigh?

Then how much does the empty box weigh? ;)

Thanks for the simple explanation,it has helped me to get a weight of 10kg for the empty box.Could you please explain how i could use algebra to get to the solution.I've tried using the hints from the first reply to this post but am getting lost somewhere.

Thanks for the simple explanation,it has helped me to get a weight of 10kg for the empty box.Could you please explain how i could use algebra to get to the solution.I've tried using the hints from the first reply to this post but am getting lost somewhere.
Let A equal the weight of a full box of apples and B equals the weight of the box.
Half full: (1/2)A+B=40
1/5 full: (1/5)A+B=22.
Now try to solve this set of two equations. If you get stuck then please come back and ask for help.