fractions

gullpacha

I studied multiplications as a repeated addition and when i study fractions multiplication i thought how i can illustrate fractions multiplication as a repeated addition and how the previous nations did fractions multiplications and in finally why we do fractions multiplications what is the benefit of that ?how first people get the idea of fractions multiplication how the get this idea ?if you answer my question i will be happy
thank you

The "repeated addition" idea only really works for whole numbers, though it can be stretched a little to cover negative numbers and fractions. In my mind, the easiest way to do so for fractions is to think of multiplication as "A of B". Multiplying 3 times 5 can be thought of as adding 3 sets of 5 items: 5+5+5=15. Multiplying 1/2 times 6 can be thought of as one half of 6 items, which is 3. There are a number of ways to get this result; one that arises naturally out of this formulation is that "1/2 of 6" means "one of every 2" of the 6. If we split 6 into 3 sets of 2, and take one from each, we end up with 3. This leads to the idea of multiplying by the numerator and dividing by the denominator.

This is just an informal way to approach it; I don't know how it was first thought of, and it took a long time for a reasonable notation to be arrived at and commonly adopted.

The benefit of multiplying fractions is that most measurements are not whole numbers, so we have to be able to do all the operations with them!

I studied multiplications as a repeated addition and when i study fractions multiplication i thought how i can illustrate fractions multiplication as a repeated addition and how the previous nations did fractions multiplications and in finally why we do fractions multiplications what is the benefit of that ?how first people get the idea of fractions multiplication how the get this idea ?if you answer my question i will be happy
thank you
Suppose you are going to feed some people. Each of those people will eat 3/4 of an apple. You are planning feed 8 people.

How many apples must you get to feed those people.

The way I would calculate it:

Assume I need to get 'n' apples.

Then,

number apples = amount each person would eat * number of people

number apples (n) = 3/4 * 8 = 6

There.... I needed fraction-multiplication and used it.

Conceptually it will get more complicated (and fun?) when you start to consider multiplication of irrational numbers (π * √2).

Last edited by a moderator: