Friction Force

nasi112

The friction force required to keep a car from skidding on a curve is given by [MATH]\vec{F} _s(t) = ma_{N} \vec{N} (t)[/MATH]. Find the friction force needed to keep a car of mass [MATH]m = 100[/MATH] (slugs) from skidding if [MATH]\vec{r} (t) = \ <100 \cos \pi t, 100 \sin \pi t>[/MATH].

The friction force required to keep a car from skidding on a curve is given by [MATH]\vec{F} _s(t) = ma_{N} \vec{N} (t)[/MATH]. Find the friction force needed to keep a car of mass [MATH]m = 100[/MATH] (slugs) from skidding if [MATH]\vec{r} (t) = \ <100 \cos \pi t, 100 \sin \pi t>[/MATH].
Did you post the complete problem? I think additional data are needed to be able to solve this problem.

If possible, post a picture of the assigned problem. Is this a problem from math class or physics class or engineering class?

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

this question seems small

But

it is very Big

let us solve it by finding piece by piece

[MATH]|\vec{a} (t)|^2 = {a_T}^2 + {a_N}^2[/MATH]
where [MATH]\vec{a} (t)[/MATH] is the acceleration vector, [MATH]a_T[/MATH] is the tangential acceleration, and [MATH]a_N[/MATH] is the normal acceleration

then

[MATH]a_N = \sqrt{|\vec{a} (t)|^2 - {a_T}^2}[/MATH]
[MATH]\vec{v} (t) = \frac{d \vec{r} (t)}{dt} = \ <-100\pi \sin \pi t, 100\pi \cos \pi t>[/MATH]
[MATH]|\vec{v} (t)| = 100\pi[/MATH]
[MATH]\vec{a} (t) = \frac{\vec{v} (t)}{dt} = \ <-100{\pi}^2 \cos \pi t, -100{\pi}^2 \sin \pi t>[/MATH]
[MATH]|\vec{a} (t)| = 100{\pi}^2[/MATH]
[MATH]a_T = \frac{d \ |\vec{v} (t)|}{dt} = 0[/MATH]
then

[MATH]a_N = \sqrt{(100{\pi}^2)^2 - {0}^2} = 100{\pi}^2[/MATH]
[MATH]\vec{N} (t) = \frac{\frac{d \ \vec{T} (t)}{dt}}{\left |\frac{d \ \vec{T} (t)}{dt}\right |}[/MATH]
where [MATH]\vec{N} (t)[/MATH] is the unit normal vector and [MATH] \vec{T} (t)[/MATH] is the unit tangent vector

[MATH]\vec{T} (t) = \frac{\vec{v} (t)}{|\vec{v} (t)|} = \frac{<-100\pi \sin \pi t, 100\pi \cos \pi t>}{100\pi} = \ <-\sin \pi t, \cos \pi t>[/MATH]
[MATH]\frac{d \ \vec{T} (t)}{dt} = \ <-\pi \cos \pi t, -\pi \sin \pi t>[/MATH]
then

[MATH]\vec{N} (t) = \frac{<-\pi \cos \pi t, -\pi \sin \pi t>}{\pi} = \ <-\cos \pi t, -\sin \pi t>[/MATH]
And finally

[MATH]\vec{F} (t) = m \cdot a_N \cdot \vec{N} (t) = 100 \cdot 100{\pi}^2 \cdot <-\cos \pi t, -\sin \pi t> \ = \ <-10000{\pi}^2\cos \pi t, -10000{\pi}^2\sin \pi t>[/MATH] lbf

Thank you so much for the help. Can I ask you a question? How did you come up with the formula for [MATH]\vec{N} (t)[/MATH]?

Thank you so much for the help. Can I ask you a question? How did you come up with the formula for [MATH]\vec{N} (t)[/MATH]?
The vector was defined. Do you understand what [MATH]\vec{A} (t)[/MATH] means?

it is a definition

the principal unit normal vector [MATH]\vec{N} (t)[/MATH] is a unit vector having the same direction as [MATH] \frac{d \ \vec{T} (t)}{dt} [/MATH] and is defined by [MATH]\vec{N} (t) = \frac{\frac{d \ \vec{T} (t)}{dt}}{\left|\frac{d \ \vec{T} (t)}{dt}\right|}[/MATH] provided that [MATH]\frac{d \ \vec{T} (t)}{dt} \neq 0[/MATH].

you can find this definition in any Calculus book

Work through (re-do) response #3 line by line - with a pencil and paper. You'll see that it has been answered.