Function HELP

cjrwatson

I need help with # 11 boxed in the attached jpg file. It refers to a graph, but I don't think the graph is needed. I thought just substitution would work but there are too many variables. Please help. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200614_112054.jpg
    20200614_112054.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
There is enough information; but they've presented it in a way that is likely to fool you (e.g. using h and k in a way different from the usual). And the graph, which you did show, is very definitely needed!

Don't just substitute; think about what possible translations are involved.

Please show your thinking in some detail, so we can see how close you are.

Thanks Dr. Peterson for your response.

Its still confusing. I get a little about the shifting with h and k. How about a hint or an example to pull from or reference.

Attachments

• rules-transformation-function.png
    rules-transformation-function.png
    30 KB · Views: 2
… It refers to a graph, but I don't think the graph is needed …
Hi cjr. The graph is needed because the question asks about a point on the graph, after the graph has been shifted horizontally by k units and vertically by h units.

Have you learned about shifted graphs? That is, how does the graph of a function change, if all the inputs are increased or decreased by a constant? For example, how does the graph of h(x-1) differ from the graph of h(x)?

If you're not familiar with horizontal/vertical shifts, let us know, and we can provide an example. Understanding the roles played by parameters k and h is what the exercise requires.

We also need to pay careful attention to the given signs of k and h. (They didn't specify that k is also an integer, but we ought to assume that it is.)

?