Functions Word Problem

yardig

A swimmer crosses a pool of width b by swimming in a straight line from (0,0) to (2b,b).

a) Let f be a function defined as the y-coordinate of the point on the long side of the pool that is nearest the swimmer at an given time during the swimmer's path across the pool. Determine that function f. Is it continuous?

b) Let g be the minimum distance between the swimmer and the long sides of the pool. Determine the function g. Is it continuous?

Untitled-1.png

right now I think that a) is continuous and I think the slope of the line is 1/2.

for b) I have noo idea.

yardig said:
A swimmer crosses a pool of width b by swimming in a straight line from (0,0) to (2b,b).

a) Let f be a function defined as the y-coordinate of the point on the long side of the pool that is nearest the swimmer at an given time during the swimmer's path across the pool. Determine that function f. Is it continuous?

b) Let g be the minimum distance between the swimmer and the long sides of the pool. Determine the function g. Is it continuous?

Untitled-1.png

right now I think that a) is continuous and I think the slope of the line is 1/2.<<< What is the function you got for (a) - it is not the equation of the line - and it is not continuous.

for b) I have noo idea.<<< Distance from the long side of the pool can be translated to one of the co-ordinates of the swimmer - which one?

the function i got for a is f(x)=1/2x but since it is not an equation is it ... i have no idea.

for the function of g does it want an equation? like f(x)=1/2x?

sorry I am so confused.