Functions

rachelmaddie

Can someone please check my work for this question?

Type of function: absolute value function
Given:
Parent function f(x) = |x|
Transformed function f(x) = 2| x + 3| - 5

Transformation 1: The function is multiplied by 2. Stretch vertically by a factor of 2
Transformation 2: The function inside the x value is added by 3. Translate left by 3 units.
Transformation 3: The function is subtracted by 5. Translate downwards by 5 units.
B7749CB0-266E-4D99-BBAA-2DCA02B5DF4C.jpeg

I prefer to say that "x is replaced with x+3"; that's what is being done to the function. To say that x is increased by 3 can lead to confusion with moving to the right.

I commonly list the horizontal transformations first, then the vertical, each in the right order within the group; but the order of horizontal relative to vertical doesn't matter. It's just a good habit.

I prefer to say that "x is replaced with x+3"; that's what is being done to the function. To say that x is increased by 3 can lead to confusion with moving to the right.

I commonly list the horizontal transformations first, then the vertical, each in the right order within the group; but the order of horizontal relative to vertical doesn't matter. It's just a good habit.
Transformation 2: The x value is replaced with x + 3. Translate left by 3 units.

Like that?