General (set) notation question

moogle12

1651075074587.png

The above screenshot details a couple of equations I wrote. Equation 1 is essentially what I would like to say in an essay. However, I am trying to write it using set notation for two reasons: i) elegance and ii) to conserve a limited wordcount. Equation 2 was my idea of condensing it using my attempt at set notation (I am not a mathematics student).

Is this correct, or is there another approach that would be regarded as more 'proper'? I would like to write this as professionally as possible.

Thanks

I am guessing you mean [imath]I \in \{D,H\}[/imath] since [imath]I[/imath] is an element and [imath]\{D,H\}[/imath] is a set.

I didn't mean to do that- my intention was to create I as a set purely to contain D and H, so that I wouldn't have to type out an equation for each of them and use I as a subscript. Does that not work and if it doesn't, what would be the correct approach?

My intention was to create I as a set purely to contain D and H, so that I wouldn't have to type out an equation for each of them and use I as a subscript. Does that not work and if it doesn't, what would be the correct approach?
If in fact that is your intention, how do we know what the question is?
You do have to type out the question in such a way that we understand.
If you have problems with using symbols then lookup the use of LaTeX.

I didn't mean to do that- my intention was to create I as a set purely to contain D and H, so that I wouldn't have to type out an equation for each of them and use I as a subscript. Does that not work and if it doesn't, what would be the correct approach?
Do you actually intend using a set as a subscript?
I understood that you wanted to replace two expressions (one for D and one for H) by one, in which case using [imath]I[/imath] as a generalization for D and H, so I shown what seemed to me as a more conventional way to do this.