General Solution and Characteristic time

JoshWalker

So the question I'm stuck on asks me to find the general solution - I've missed a few lectures so I have no idea what the general solution refers to and I'm having trouble finding concise help online. In addition the second part of the question refers to 'characteristic time' which I also do not know what it refers to.

a) The number of fish in a lake, approximated by a real number x(t), is decreasing according to the differential equation
dx/dt =-x/2
where time is measured in years. Find the general solution to this equation.
b) Find the characteristic time (tau) after which the number of fish decreases by e^-1

If I could get help in the form of explaining the general solution and concise time are in addition to how to apply them in this situation it would be ideal.

You can write dx/dt= -x/2 as dx/x= -(1/2)dt. Integrating both sides ln|x|= -(1/2)t+ C ("C" is the "constant of integration). This is the "general solution" because different values of C gives different solutions and any solution can be written in that form. You could aso take the exponential of both sides get \(\displaystyle |x|= e^{-(1/2)t+ C}= e^{-(1/2)t}e^C= C' e^{-(1/2)t}\) where I have taken \(\displaystyle C'= \pm e^C\) and I can drop the "\(\displaystyle \pm\)" since I can also take C' to be positive or negative. That could also be called the "general solution". Again any value of C' gives a solution and any solution is of that form for some number C'.

Suppose the initial (t= 0) number of fish is A. Then \(\displaystyle A= C'e^{-(1/2)0}= C'\). Since C' is a constant, at any other time, t, we have \(\displaystyle x(t)= Ae^{-(1/2)t}\). For what later time, t, will x have decreased by a factor of \(\displaystyle e^{-1}\)? That is, what is t when \(\displaystyle Ae^{-(1/2)t}= Ae^{-1}\)? We can divide by A getting \(\displaystyle e^{-(1/2)t}= e^{-1}\). Can you solve that for t?