generating function: prove ( 1 - x - x^2 - x^3 - x^4 - x^5 - x^6)^-1 is the number of way which 'n' achieved by rolling the dice any time.

sna_gz

hi there I have tried to solve this problem but I think I am a bit wrong so I cant get the answer.
1627217540734.png

How did you get
[imath]1 - n - n^2 - n^3 - n^4 - n^5 - n^6 = \dfrac{1 - n^6}{1 + n}[/imath]

That isn't true for all n!

-Dan

Addendum: It is true that the sum you listed is [imath]1 - \dfrac{n^6 - 1}{n - 1}[/imath].

Last edited:
How did you get

-Dan

Addendum: It is true that the sum you listed is [imath]1 - \dfrac{n^6 - 1}{n - 1}[/imath].
1627236658669.png i was trying to put -1 as 'a' but I forgot that 'a' also have power :)

How did you get

-Dan

how do you think is this gonna prove the question.
[imath](1 - \dfrac{x^6 - 1}{x - 1})^n[/imath]
I am still cannot find good relation between the problem and its generating function.

I cannot even figure out what you are asking: “number of way in which n achieved by rolling the dice any time” makes no sense in English.

how do you think is this gonna prove the question.
[imath](1 - \dfrac{x^6 - 1}{x - 1})^n[/imath]
I am still cannot find good relation between the problem and its generating function.
Neither can I. I was simply pointing out a mistake.

-Dan

Wherever you got this problem or whoever wrote the problem is mistaken.
If a die (standard cubic die, numbered 1 to six) is tossed \[imath]n[/imath] times then
the generating function [imath](x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+x^6)^n[/imath] tells us the number of ways a sum of the faces can be made. SEE THIS
For example a gamming die is tossed eight them [imath]{\left( {\sum\limits_{k = 1}^6 {{x^k}} } \right)^8}[/imath] contains the term
[imath]3368x^{41}[/imath]. Which tell s that the sum [imath]41[/imath] can be gotten in [imath]3368[/imath] ways so the probability is [imath]\dfrac{3368}{6^8}[/imath]. We also use that sum if we roll [imath]n[/imath] dice.

I cannot even figure out what you are asking: “number of way in which n achieved by rolling the dice any time” makes no sense in English.
me neither, even the source question was hard to understand for me.

Wherever you got this problem or whoever wrote the problem is mistaken.
If a die (standard cubic die, numbered 1 to six) is tossed \[imath]n[/imath] times then
the generating function [imath](x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+x^6)^n[/imath] tells us the number of ways a sum of the faces can be made. SEE THIS
For example a gamming die is tossed eight them ( {\sum\limits_{k = 1}^6 {{x^k}} } \right)^8}[/imath] [imath]{\leftcontains the term [imath]3368x^{41}[/imath]. Which tell s that the sum [imath]41[/imath] can be gotten in [imath]3368[/imath] ways so the probability is [imath]\dfrac{3368}{6^8}[/imath]. We also use that sum if we roll [imath]n[/imath] dice.
thanks, the dice problem is a known subject and if we wanna look at the other ways of showing generating function :

[imath]\prod_{i=a}^{n} \frac{1-x^6}{1-x}[/imath]
which I am not sure but can be a bit calculatable by some choosing drama.
I was trying to be sure about this so I can contact the author of the book who seems to be an expert.
I will notify you if I got useful information.
finally, I would be thankful if anybody has a nice and rich source of generating function.