Geometry 3D- number of faces

Annelle

In a certain convex polyhedron, each face is a tetrahedron or hexagon and three edges meet at each vertex. How many tetrahedral faces does the polyhedron have?
I'd be grateful for help

In a certain convex polyhedron, each face is a tetrahedron or hexagon and three edges meet at each vertex. How many tetrahedral faces does the polyhedron have?
I'd be grateful for help
I think you miscopied or mistranslated. Faces of a polyhedron are polygons, not polyhedra (such as a tetrahedron).

My guess is that you meant either triangle or quadrilateral.

When you correct this, please also follow our guidelines by showing whatever work you have tried, or telling us what you have learned that might apply. We need to see what sort of help you need:

I mistranslated indeed. I mean each face is quadrilateral or hexagon
I thought about doing it in 4 cases- with all hexagons in each corner (which is impossible so i skip it), with all quadrilaterals in each corner, with 2 quadrilaterals and one hexagon and with one quadrilateral and 2 hexagons, but actually i dont know what to do next and how to do that. I can't use euler formula for polyhedra ( V + F - E = 2 ), because i dont know any value. I only drew the case with 2 hexagons and one quadrilateral in each corner
1617891803239.png

Use the Euler formula, together with what you were told: "each face is a quadrilateral or hexagon and three edges meet at each vertex". That tells you a second relationship between V and E in the formula.

I might define two variables, Q and H, where Q + H = F in the formula. What else can you say about them?

three edges meet at each vertex tells that 3E=2V
There can be 3 options:
- F=Q
- Q=2H, so F=3H
- H=2Q, so F=3Q
but it is still not enough

three edges meet at each vertex tells that 3E=2V
There can be 3 options:
- F=Q
- Q=2H, so F=3H
- H=2Q, so F=3Q
but it is still not enough
So look for more! You haven't used the fact that Q is the number 4-sided faces and H is the number of 6-sided faces. Write an equation for that.

Also, are you sure about 3E = 2V?

I get four equations in 5 variables (V, E, F, Q, H), and end up with a family of answers, one of which is the cube (Q = 6, H = 0).

Also, are you sure about 3E = 2V?
I think it's true because 3 edges meet at each corner, but every edge velongs to 2 faces, so it was counted two times. Am I wrong?

Is it good to consider 4 cases: only Q faces, two Q faces and one H face in each corner, 2 H faces and one Q at each corner and only H faces?

I thought that the number of edges would be like that:
(4Q+6H)/2=E
because we have 4 edges for every Q face and 6 for every H face and we count every edge 2 times, am I right?

There would be:
V+F-E=2
2Q+3H=E
3E=2V
Q+H=F

so V=3*(2Q+3H)/2

I think I do something wrong, because I have an equation with 2 unknown elements:Q and H: 2Q+2,5H=2 and it's wrong because a cube has 6 faces, not 10...

I think it's true because 3 edges meet at each corner, but every edge velongs to 2 faces, so it was counted two times. Am I wrong?
I mentioned one example, the cube. Three edges meet at every vertex. Is it true that 3E = 2V? Since E = 12 and V = 8, 3E = 36 while 2V = 16.

Maybe you got something backward?

Is it good to consider 4 cases: only Q faces, two Q faces and one H face in each corner, 2 H faces and one Q at each corner and only H faces?
That's far more work, and more risky, than what you will be able to do once you have the right equations.
I thought that the number of edges would be like that:
(4Q+6H)/2=E
because we have 4 edges for every Q face and 6 for every H face and we count every edge 2 times, am I right?
Yes, that will be one of your equations. (And you can apply the same sort of thinking to correct 3E = 2V.)

Fix the one equation and try again! You'll get there.

noo, i know where I made a mistake, it should be 2E=3V and then we have Q=6 and that's the correct answer :D

noo, i know where I made a mistake, it should be 2E=3V and then we have Q=6 and that's the correct answer :D
Good. You caught it.

Now, it's interesting that you were only asked about the number of quadrilaterals. How many hexagons can it have?