Geometry: Reflections

rachelmaddie

I need help with reflections. I do not know how to get to the coordinates or draw mirror lines.
Hopefully the full image is loading.

Attachments

• FAE7671C-1C08-4EA9-8F86-D75012C590A4.jpeg
    FAE7671C-1C08-4EA9-8F86-D75012C590A4.jpeg
    627.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 07ABF96F-137D-48DD-B957-8DC392926A9A.jpeg
    07ABF96F-137D-48DD-B957-8DC392926A9A.jpeg
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 10
Your graph looks good for problem 7. Do it on graph paper for accuracy, and also plot Q. Then make an attempt at finding the image of Q (the result of the reflection), so we can see how close you are to understanding.

Your graph looks good for problem 7. Do it on graph paper for accuracy, and also plot Q. Then make an attempt at finding the image of Q (the result of the reflection), so we can see how close you are to understanding.
I do not have graph paper. I’m following the image.
Q(3, -2) Q(-1, -2)

Attachments

• E92DCD32-578E-4B91-A42B-DD5B84068448.jpeg
    E92DCD32-578E-4B91-A42B-DD5B84068448.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
It's possible that you could snip the graph out of the image and write on it on your computer, depending on what you are using.

But without graph paper, just write out the numerical facts. What is the x-coordinate of Q? What is the x-coordinate of the line? How far to the right of the line is Q? How far to the left of the line is its image? Where will that be?

Yes, Q'(-1, -2) is correct. But the image was not worth much in answering the question, without gridlines.

I think you really need to have graph paper in order to learn this well; the hands-on experience, with accurate locations, will make it easier to understand. If you can't buy a packet of graph paper, you can download and print "free" graph paper from many sources.

(By the way, the "image" I mentioned was the picture you sent us, not an assumed online source. But graph paper is a better idea.)

Yes, Q'(-1, -2) is correct. But the image was not worth much in answering the question, without gridlines.

I think you really need to have graph paper in order to learn this well; the hands-on experience, with accurate locations, will make it easier to understand. If you can't buy a packet of graph paper, you can download and print "free" graph paper from many sources.

(By the way, the "image" I mentioned was the picture you sent us, not an assumed online source. But graph paper is a better idea.)
I’m not really sure how I’m going to apply this in the exams. For now, I just want a better understanding of this concept.

These are the steps you need to follow.

1. Draw in the line of reflection.
2. Draw a perpendicular line from the point to the line of reflection,
3. Extend this line through the line of reflection the same distance on the other side.
4. That locates the refected point.

Let us know where you go wrong if you follow this procedure.

These are the steps you need to follow.

1. Draw in the line of reflection.
2. Draw a perpendicular line from the point to the line of reflection,
3. Extend this line through the line of reflection the same distance on the other side.
4. That locates the refected point.

Let us know where you go wrong if you follow this procedure.
I don’t understand how to draw the line of reflection for the other points.

Ok I see a problem! The 2 marked on your textbook graph (on the y-axis) is in the wrong position. Each square represents 1. Change the 2 to a 1. Obviously a misprint. Try now.