gradient and plane equations

Questions:
  1. What is [imath]z(x,y)[/imath]?
  2. Are you familiar with the Chain Rule?
  3. Can you compute [imath]\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}[/imath]? How about [imath]\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}[/imath]?

1642622484502.png
This is what i was able to get with those questions, but i’m not feeling great about gx and gy..

Questions:
  1. What is [imath]z(x,y)[/imath]?
  2. Are you familiar with the Chain Rule?
  3. Can you compute [imath]\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}[/imath]? How about [imath]\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}[/imath]?
I am also confused with what the function of f is, because just the gradient vector is given

I am also confused with what the function of f is, because just the gradient vector is given
If you write down the chain rule for your problem you'll see that you don't really need to know what [imath]f[/imath] is, but knowing [imath]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}[/imath] at the specified point is enough.

okay this is what i got!! but gx seems like an off number?? is my answer just this ordered pair?
1642622312135.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This does not look right. Can you write the formulas for
[math]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left(f(x, y, g(x,y))\right)[/math]and
[math]\frac{\partial}{\partial y} \left(f(x, y, g(x,y))\right)[/math]using the chain rule?

[math]\frac{\partial}{\partial y} \left(f(x, y, g(x,y))\right)[/math]using the chain rule?
for the third coordinate is it g(x,y) or z(x,y)??

1642624599083.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This does not look like the chain rule. Can you write it for a more general case, i.e. [imath]\mathbb R^2 \Rightarrow \mathbb R^3 \Rightarrow \mathbb R^1[/imath], or [imath]f(p(x,y), q(x,y), r(x,y))[/imath] ?

This does not look like the chain rule. Can you write it for a more general case, i.e. [imath]\mathbb R^2 \Rightarrow \mathbb R^3 \Rightarrow \mathbb R^1[/imath], or [imath]f(p(x,y), q(x,y), r(x,y))[/imath] ?
Alternately, can you show the formula for the chain rule you have in your text book or lecture notes?

Alternately, can you show the formula for the chain rule you have in your text book or lecture notes?
chain rule.PNG
This is a thing I really struggle with, but I feel like once I get the staring equations, I can carry the rest out..

I might have attached a photo of the wrong work before..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
View attachment 30777
This is a thing I really struggle with, but I feel like once I get the staring equations, I can carry the rest out..
This one is looks correct for single variables. Want to find the formula for multi-variable (see post #13)?

P.S. I like using [imath]F[/imath] for the composite function to avoid confusion with [imath]f[/imath].

This one is looks correct for single variables. Want to find the formula for multi-variable (see post #13)?

P.S. I like using [imath]F[/imath] for the composite function to avoid confusion with [imath]f[/imath].
post 13?

chain rule multi.PNG
okay i found this, but am not sure about application

Sorry, I meant post 11, the one about the multi-variable version of the chain rule.

( I am not too bright today, am I? Should think about some excuse :))
haha no worries... even looking at that I am still so lost

its just not clicking in my brain