Graph function

Loki123

I would have never known how to graph this had I not looked it up in one of those "graph a function" websites. How can I know how to graph it without a website? IMG_20220425_105025.jpg

I would have never known how to graph this had I not looked it up in one of those "graph a function" websites. How can I know how to graph it without a website? View attachment 32378
Forgot to mention around x axis part. I am supposed to calculate the volume of the figure the curve makes by rotating around x axis. Sorry!

Forgot to mention around x axis part. I am supposed to calculate the volume of the figure the curve makes by rotating around x axis. Sorry!
I also failed to calculate the volume, so I am going to need some help there too.
IMG_20220425_113959.jpgIMG_20220425_113947.jpg

Why would you multiply out (3-x)^2 to find its roots? Isn't the root clearly x=3?

Of course that volume would be infinity!

Why are you trying to compute the integral from x=0 to x=3? Is it because you were asked to or because going from 0 to oo gives the answer as oo?

Why are taking the derivative of x(3-x)^2/9 when you are asked to compute the derivative?

Why are integrating \(\displaystyle \dfrac{\pi}{9}\int x(3-x)^2\) and not \(\displaystyle \dfrac{\pi}{9}\int x(3-x)^2dx\)?

Last edited:
I don't mean to be insulting but how can you not know how to graph [imath]gy^2 = x(3 - x)[/imath] by some method if you are in Calculus? At the very least you can make a table and graph it point by point!

-Dan

I don't mean to be insulting but how can you not know how to graph [imath]gy^2 = x(3 - x)[/imath] by some method if you are in Calculus? At the very least you can make a table and graph it point by point!

-Dan
It's not insulting. Our class doesn't prioritize sketching graphs like these. We mostly do simple curves and straight lines. Is there any other way than graphing it point by point?

-Dan
[imath]9y^2 = x(3-x)^2[/imath]

It's not insulting. Our class doesn't prioritize sketching graphs like these. We mostly do simple curves and straight lines. Is there any other way than graphing it point by point?
I just saw skeeter's post and realized I had a typo. Yes, that's a tough one. You would have to use a graphing utility or plot point by point.

-Dan

Yes, you are not integrating! You are differentiation! Why?
Can we see the exact problem so we know which volume we are looking for. If it is 0 to infinity, then armed with the graph we should know that the volume = infinity. There is no need to calculate this!

yes, use calculus to graph this curve.

Why would you multiply out (3-x)^2 to find its roots? Isn't the root clearly x=3?

Of course that volume would be infinity!

Why are you trying to compute the integral from x=0 to x=3? Is it because you were asked to or because going from 0 to oo gives the answer as oo?

Why are taking the derivative of x(3-x)^2/9 when you are asked to compute the derivative?

Why are integrating \(\displaystyle \dfrac{\pi}{9}\int x(3-x)^2\) and not \(\displaystyle \dfrac{\pi}{9}\int x(3-x)^2dx\)?
Somehow I didn't see past the first paragraph the first time. As for the rest, I am not sure. I know the answer isn't infinity, so I just assumed that I do not need to calculate the Infinite part.

Yes, you are not integrating! You are differentiation! Why?
Can we see the exact problem so we know which volume we are looking for. If it is 0 to infinity, then armed with the graph we should know that the volume = infinity. There is no need to calculate this!
The problem is in #2

The problem is in #2
If you insist on this, then I can't see how the volume is anything other than infinity. The volume is blowing up as x goes to infinity.

Why are you integrating from x=0 to x=3. I see where x=0 comes from but have no idea, based on post #2, where you are getting x=3 from?? Can you explain? Possibly posting the exact problem might explain when you are stopping at x=3.

Last edited:
If you insist on this, then I can't see how the volume is anything other than 0. The volume is blowing up as x goes to infinity.

Why are you integrating from x=0 to x=3. I see where x=0 comes from but have no idea, based on post #2, where you are getting x=3 from?? Can you explain? Possibly posting the exact problem might explain when you are stopping at x=3.
that's the exact problem. if you mean book copy, i do not have it unfortunately.
as for 3, as far as i know you calculate the volume by Pi * integral of (function of the curve)^2, where integral is defined from the start point on x axis to the end point of the x axis of the curve. I go from 0 to 3 because i don't think they asked for infinity answer and because it's overall a different shape.