Graph help

Headbutt88

Hey there guys, ive been helping my son with some math but an area im not really strong in is this. I was hoping you could possibly point me in the right direction with these questions in a way i can help him and also understand more myself.

312321.jpg

1 - Write down the coordinates of the points A and B.
2 - Find the gradient of the line that passes through the points Aand B, clearly showing each step of your method.
3 - Find the equation of the line that passes through the point (3, 2)and has slope 2/5 (2 over 5) .
4 - Determine whether or not the point (4, 3) lies on the line found inpart (3), clearly showing each step of your method.
5 - Find the x-intercept of the line found in part (3), clearly showingeach step of your method.

This question investigates the relationship between the cost of fire damage(in thousands of pounds) in major residential fires and the distance(in kilometres) between the residence and the nearest fire station. Based ondata collected from a group of residential districts, a scatterplot wasproduced with the regression line included. The distance from the nearestfire station was displayed on the horizontal axis and cost of damage on thevertical axis.

1 - Describe three features of a scatterplot that might help us to explainthe relationship between the two variables being investigated.
2 - The regression line for the investigation is y = 4.88x + 5.34. What dothe x and y variables represent here?
3 - The correlation coefficient r for the investigation is 0.93. What does thistell you?
4 - Use the regression equation from part (2) to predict the cost of firedamage caused by a fire at a residence located 4 kilometres from thenearest fire station.
5 - Can you conclude from this investigation that distance from the nearestfire station determines the cost of the fire damage caused? Explain youranswer.
6 - If the correlation coefficient for this investigation had been 0.99, wouldthis have changed the answer that you gave to part (5)? Explain yourreasoning.

Hey there guys, ive been helping my son with some math but an area im not really strong in is this. I was hoping you could possibly point me in the right direction with these questions in a way i can help him and also understand more myself.

View attachment 10958

1 - Write down the coordinates of the points A and B.
2 - Find the gradient of the line that passes through the points Aand B, clearly showing each step of your method.
3 - Find the equation of the line that passes through the point (3, 2)and has slope 2/5 (2 over 5) .
4 - Determine whether or not the point (4, 3) lies on the line found inpart (3), clearly showing each step of your method.
5 - Find the x-intercept of the line found in part (3), clearly showingeach step of your method.

This question investigates the relationship between the cost of fire damage(in thousands of pounds) in major residential fires and the distance(in kilometres) between the residence and the nearest fire station. Based ondata collected from a group of residential districts, a scatterplot wasproduced with the regression line included. The distance from the nearestfire station was displayed on the horizontal axis and cost of damage on thevertical axis.

1 - Describe three features of a scatterplot that might help us to explainthe relationship between the two variables being investigated.
2 - The regression line for the investigation is y = 4.88x + 5.34. What dothe x and y variables represent here?
3 - The correlation coefficient r for the investigation is 0.93. What does thistell you?
4 - Use the regression equation from part (2) to predict the cost of firedamage caused by a fire at a residence located 4 kilometres from thenearest fire station.
5 - Can you conclude from this investigation that distance from the nearestfire station determines the cost of the fire damage caused? Explain youranswer.
6 - If the correlation coefficient for this investigation had been 0.99, wouldthis have changed the answer that you gave to part (5)? Explain yourreasoning.
A point has an x-value and a y-value written as (x,y). To find the x-value for point A just look straight down to the x-axes and read off the number you see on the x-axes, to find the y-value for point A just look straight across to the y-axes and read off the number you see on the y-axes. The coordinate of A will be (?,?)?

Do the same for B. The slope or gradient will be the change in the y-values divided by the change in the x-values.

… 1 - Write down the coordinates of the points A and B.
5 - Find the x-intercept of the line found in part (3), clearly showingeach step of your method. …
If your son cannot answer the first five questions, then he is not prepared at all to understand the remaining statistics exercises.

You ought to consider a teacher conference. Your son seems to be missing weeks of instruction and homework practice. :shock:

If you yourself would like to begin studying this, google keywords xy-coordinate plane and linear equation basics to start. Watch some videos and study some lessons. Then practice.

If you see something that you don't understand, come back and post a specific question. Also, please check out the forum's submission guidelines. Cheers

Its not that he can not answer some of them but in order to give the bigger perspective on teaching myself i posted the full question for you.

Its not that he can not answer some of them but in order to give the bigger perspective on teaching myself i posted the full question for you.
Sorry for the delay. Your post got stuck in queue.

Okay, thanks for sharing more information, but trying to tutor two different people under the same user name will be awkward. Can your son create his own username, and show us how far he got? We need to see where he's stuck.

The same goes for you. Please show how far you can get, in this exercise. You wrote that you've been helping your son with math, so I'm thinking we might not have to review linear equations. Please share your work.

Cheers :cool: