graph the following equation: y = 3/4x + 2

Keisha

I have to graph the following

y = 3/4x + 2

The main problem I am having is coming up with points. I believe that I can pick any I choose. Is this correct? Now say I choose to use 4, would the 4 cancel out and the problem then look like this:

y = 3x + 2 ?

Re: graph the following equation

Keisha said:

y = 3/4x + 2 the main problem I am having is coming up with points. I bleeive that I can pick any I choose. Is this correct? Now say I choose to use 4, would the 4 cancel out and the problem then look like this:

y = 3x + 2 ?

If you chose x = 4, then

y = 3/4 * x + 2 = 3/4 * 4 + 2 = 3 + 2 = 5

So (4,5) is a point on the said line.

y = 3/4x + 2 the main problem I am having is coming up with points. I bleeive that I can pick any I choose. Is this correct? Now say I choose to use 4, would the 4 cancel out and the problem then look like this:

y = 3x + 2 ?

The 4 that you are choosing is the value of x, and yes, it will cancel out the 4 in the denominator of the fraction ¾. However, you would not be left with y = 3x + 2. Instead, the x would be gone (you just cancelled it, right?), so you’d have y = 3 + 2 = 5. You just found a point on the line: (4,5). You can use this method to find as many points on the line as you like and graph them.

However, there’s an easier way. Your equation y = 3x + 2 is in the “slope-intercept” form (y = mx + b), where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. This means the line passes through the y-axis at (0,2) and has a slope of 3.

Re: graph the following equation

Keisha said:

y = 3x + 2 ?

You're right...you can pick any value of x that you want.

You know that

y = (3/4)x + 2

If you pick 4 for x, then you have

y = (3/4)(4) + 2

or,

y = 3 + 2

or y = 5

So, when x = 4, y = 5. This gives you the coordinates of ONE point on the line y = (3/4)x + 2.

If you are trying to graph the equation, pick another value for x....suppose you pick 8 for x. If x = 8, then

y = (3/4)*(8) + 2
y = (24/4) + 2
y = 6 + 2
y = 8

If x = 8, then y = 8. The point (8, 8) is on the graph of the line.

Ok...you can pick other values for x, and find the corresponding values for y.

If you are still having trouble with this problem, please repost with the details of your difficulties so we can see how best to help you.