Graphing an Equation.

d1zz

Hello.

I really need help graphing this equation. I dont know where to start or how to takle this type of equation using calculas.

Thanks.

g(x)= (|x|+x)/2 * (3x+2)

Thank you for your help.

If all you need to do is graph it, then start with the good ole graph paper, assuming that you don't have access to Mathematica or a graphing calculaor with will instantly give you what you need, and a table of values. Plugging in values of x<0 yeilds a g(x) = 0 and will always do so because the |x|+ x term will always be zero and that will cause the top to be zero in every instance. So discarding the casies where x can be negative, the |s| part can be considered as just x and the equation simplifies to x(3x +2) and this is a simple quadratic much easier to visualize than the original, in fact just plugging and chugging a table of values will give you a good idea of what's happening when x is positive.

Hope this helps, It's not so much calculus that is needed to graph the equation as spacial resoning and the ability to break the thing down into meaningful chunks :)

d1zz said:
I dont know where to start or how to takle this type of equation using calculas.
What part of the instructions (which weren't included) require you to use calculus to do this graph? Which calculus techniques are you supposed to use?

When you reply, please include everything you have tried so far. Thank you.

Eliz.