Graphing HElp Please!

geek21

What does it mean when two lines intersect at one point? I am an 8th grader and i am 13. My class never covered the topic. Any assistance would help.

What does it mean when two lines intersect at one point?
Lacking a context, it is difficult to know what the "right" answer might be. (The only one who knows for certain would be the author of the exercise.)

What have you studied lately? What topics are you about to study? Your subject line mentions "graphing" (though your question does not), so does this maybe relate to graphs? Are the "lines" restricted to being straight lines, or can they be any graphed relations? Are you limited to "exactly" one intersection, or can there be "at least" one intersection (and thus maybe two or more)?

Thank you! ;)

it is a summer assignment given to me by my High School iam going to in september. I have the answer anways lol. WHen two line segments intersect it means that they are equal at that one point.

it is a summer assignment given to me by my High School iam going to in september. I have the answer anways lol. WHen two line segments intersect it means that they are equal at that one point.
Ah. "Line segments" aren't lines, but they're probably straight. And I'm going to guess that the "graphing" in your subject line meant "I'm doing this in the context of graphing, and I need to relate the algebra and the picture", or something similar. So the exercise was probably along the lines of:

"Q: Consider the graph of two line segments, and consider the algebraic equations of the straight lines containing those line segments. If those line segments intersect at exactly one point, what does this say about the coordinates of the points of the graphs of the algebraic equations?"

...to which the answer would be something like:

"A. Where the two segments intersect, so also do the graphs of the algebraic linear equations for the lines containing those segments. The points forming the graphs of each of the linear equations are solutions to each of the linear equations. That is, a point on the line y = mx + b is a point (a, b) such that, if one plugs a into the equation in place of x, one would obtain a solution of y = b. At the point where the two segments intersect, we have a solution for each of the two linear equations. That is, the coordinates of the point at which the graphs of the two linear equations cross are also solutions for both of the linear equations."

Was this what you'd been asking about...?