Graphing log functions!?

ericaveronica

Hi there. I need help! I need to know how to manually graph log functions. But not just the base 10 ones... I need to know how to graph logs of any base and how to find the intercepts and asymptotes. please help! :!:

Hello, ericaveronica!

I need to know how to <u>manually</u> graph log functions.
But not just the base 10 ones.
If you want to plot the points "by hand", you need the Base-change Formula: .\(\displaystyle \log_b(N) \;= \;\frac{\log(N)}{\log(b)}\)
. . The right side can use any base. .(I'll use base ten.)

<u>Example</u>: .\(\displaystyle y\;=\;\log_5(x)\)

Some of the points are:

. . \(\displaystyle x\,=\,0.001:\;y\,=\,\log_5(0.001)\,=\,\frac{\log(0.001)}{\log(5)}\,=\,-4.292\)

. . .\(\displaystyle x\,=\,0.01:\;y\,=\,\log_5(0.01)\,=\,\frac{\log(0.01)}{\log(5)}\,=\,-2.861\)

. . . \(\displaystyle x\,=\,0.1:\;y\,=\,\log_5(0.1)\,=\,\frac{\log(0.1)}{\log(5)}\,=\,-1.431\)

. . . . \(\displaystyle x\,=\,1:\;y\,=\,\log_5(1)\,=\,\frac{\log(1)}{\log(5)}\,=\,0\)

. . . . \(\displaystyle x\,=\,2:\;y\,=\,\log_5(2)\,=\,\frac{\log(2)}{\log(2)}\,=\,0.431\)

. . . . \(\displaystyle x\,=\,3:\;y\,=\,\log_5(3)\,=\,\frac{\log(3)}{\log(5)}\,=\,0.683\)

. . . . \(\displaystyle x\,=\,4:\;y\,=\,\log_5(4)\,=\,\frac{\log(4)}{\log(5)}\,=\,0.861\)

. . . .\(\displaystyle x\,=\,20:\;y\,=\,\log_5(20)\,=\,\frac{\log(20)}{\log(5)}\,=\,1.861\)

. . . .\(\displaystyle x\,=\,50:\;y\,=\,\log_5(50)\,=\,\frac{\log(50)}{\log(5)}\,=\,2.431\)

But you should do this only once.

You will find that <u>all</u> log functions of the form: \(\displaystyle y\,=\,\log_b(x)\) .have the same graph.

Code:
      --+--------*---------
        |
        |
        |

"You will find that all log functions of the form: \(\displaystyle y = \log _b (x)\).have the same graph."
This is not the case!
That is true only if b>1. If 0<b<1 then the graph looks like:
log29ho.gif