graphing trigonometric functions

jshaziza

At the end of my Algebra 2 course I am given a few lessons of Trigonometry to prepare me for Calculus. So I got stuck when it came to graphing functions such as y=sin(theta)[don't know how to write the symbol] All they showed me was a table of values that they came up with by plugging in like 30, 45, 60, etc. degrees for y= sin(theta) and then they show the actual graph derived from this table.

My question would be how do they use the information in the tables to plot out the graph. Like what would represent the period and amplitude. And I also know that the range of sine and cosine functions is from -1 to +1. But the rest I can't figure out.

If you can give me a link to a website that explains these functions in depth or explain to me here how to use this information, I would really appreciate it. Thx. for your help.

jshaziza said:
At the end of my Algebra 2 course I am given a few lessons of Trigonometry to prepare me for Calculus. So I got stuck when it came to graphing functions such as y=sin(theta)[don't know how to write the symbol] All they showed me was a table of values that they came up with by plugging in like 30, 45, 60, etc. degrees for y= sin(theta) and then they show the actual graph derived from this table.

My question would be how do they use the information in the tables to plot out the graph. Like what would represent the period and amplitude. And I also know that the range of sine and cosine functions is from -1 to +1. But the rest I can't figure out.

If you can give me a link to a website that explains these functions in depth or explain to me here how to use this information, I would really appreciate it. Thx. for your help.

f(x) = sin(x)

x = {0, 90, 180, 270, 360}

you will get f(x) = {0, 1, 0, -1, 0}

Simply plot the points and connect using smooth curves! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Continued......(in radians)

f(x) = sin(x)

Plot the graph from x = [ 0 .. 2(Pi)] this will show 360 degrees.

period = (2pi)/b = 2(pi)/1 = 2(pi)

divide your period by 4 to get the x cordinate for each amplitude at y = -1 and y = 1, and of course your x intercepts.

so you have 2(pi)/4 = Pi/2

so you can make a dot at {(0,0) , ((pi/2), 1), (2(pi/2), 0), ((3(pi/2), -1), (2(pi), 0)}

Complete the graph with smooth curves.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John